First birthday parties are all about smash cakes, Instagram moments and celebrating a tiny human’s first steps into toddlerhood. But what do you actually get a non-baby for a gift? You don’t want to fill the house with more stuff that the kid will outgrow in two seconds, and you also don’t want to get something so advanced that the parents will have to store it somewhere for a long time. Luckily, there are some pretty amazing options that are universally toddler.
1. Ten Little Ladybugs by Melanie Gerth ($7): There is something absolutely mesmerizing about this book to the one- to two-year-old set. The cadence is steady, the rhyming is on point and the bumpy plastic ladybugs on each page are a lot of fun to touch.
2. Radio Flyer Classic Walker Wagon ($75): It doesn’t matter if the little guy or gal is fully walking yet, this gift is perfect for cruisers and walkers alike. The wagon is sturdy enough to not tip over if the toddler is leaning on it for support, and it also rolls smoothly for little ones who have aced their first steps.
3. Roadacc Play Tent House and Tube ($38): This play tent and crawl-through tube set can be used indoors or out. Built with a pop-up design, there’s no parts to put together and no pieces to lose. The best part: It folds up easy and zips into its own carrying case when playtime is over.
4. Hohner Kids Maracas ($9): There are few things a young toddler loves more than to pick something up and shake it like crazy. These maracas are perfectly sized for little hands and might just stoke the creative flames for a budding rhythmic genius.
5. Early Years Lil’ Shopper Play Set ($10): One-year-old little ones spend a lot of time observing and copying the actions that they see around them. This cute little shopper set gives kiddos the chance to pretend grocery shop around the house, and is complete with a shopper tote sized just for them.
6. Melissa & Doug Shopping Cart ($70): All those pretend groceries won’t carry themselves! Four sturdy wheels and a wide easy-to-grip handle make this little shopping cart a push-toy favorite for kids one to three years old.
7. Land of Nod Teepee ($159): The ultimate fort/hiding place/puppet theater/you name it, these teepees come in a colorful selection of options and will stand the test of time (and play) for many years to come.
8. 3 Sprouts Collapsible Storage Toy Chest ($25): Help Mom and Dad keep the house somewhat tidy with this super cute, toddler-height soft toy chest. There’s no hard corners for wobbly walkers to fall on, and the top flap is light and easy for little ones to lift up.
9. Prince Lionheart Wheely Bee Ride On ($60): This ride-on toy is seriously adorable. It’s low to the ground, easy for toddlers to get on and off of and comes in a variety of animal shapes too!
10. Manhattan Toy Tree Top Adventure Activity Center ($78): Toddlers are super drawn to all things they can push, twist, pull and discover. This feature-packed activity center is the ultimate give-mommy-10-uninterrupted-minutes-to-just-be toy.
What toddler toys are a hit in your family? Tweet us your tips @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.