Although we love a good YouTube workout — especially an amazing HIIT video — it can sometime be tricky finding the right channel or routine for your personal style and fitness level. Sure, we could always download a pricey app like 7 Minute Workout to solve all of our problems, but some of us would rather save our hard-earned dough for something a tad more fun — like a tropical vacation with a cabana and exotic cocktails (yes, we like to dream BIG). For us dreamers, here are 13 workout apps that actually work… and won’t cost you a penny.
1. FitStar Yoga: Whether you’re just getting into yoga or are an expert yogi, this completely free app is definitely a must-download. Partnering with internationally recognized yoga expert Tara Stiles, who we had the lovely opportunity to chat with about fitness tips, it’s the personalization tools that really make this yoga app best in class.
DL It: Free on iOS
2. Workout Trainer: If you can’t afford the cost of a personal trainer but still want that one-on-one connection during your workout, this app is a great option. Filled with thousands of multimedia workouts and training programs with guidance from a virtual coach, it’s a great way to get in shape — especially if you don’t have any workout equipment.
3. Zova: Whether you’re looking for a quick three-minute workout before hitting the shower or a 30-minute routine to cap off your day, Zova has something for everyone. It features IRL expert trainers (including the founder of Cross Fit Babes and the creator of NUFit Under Armour Athlete… not that we’re name dropping). Plus, their workout scheduler option is great for planners and busy-bodies.
DL It: Free on iOS
4. Daily Burn: Taking the instant gratification we get from our fave apps like Snapchat, Daily Burn is all about keeping things new and exciting. On their popular 365 program, a new 30-minute workout is released live at 9am ET every day — inviting people to train alongside them during the live event or stream it on-demand for up to 24 hours later.
5. Daily Yoga: Get your ommms on with this mega-popular app. With a stunning library of over 500 yoga poses and a triple digit collection of yoga and meditation exercises, your inner yogi will definitely approve of this techy download.
6. Fitness Builder: Although this app is marketed towards fitness newbies AND experts, we definitely think more experienced athletes will get the most out of it. The free version gets you access to over 400 workouts in 16 multi-week fitness plans. Plus, you won’t be bothered by ads, which is definitely a HUGE bonus.
7. Zombies, Run!: If you need a little motivation to jump on that treadmill at the gym (or if, heaven forbid, the TV isn’t working) this hilarious and spooky app is just the thing to keep you going. Co-created with award-winning novelist Naomi Alderman, every run you go on becomes a mission to survive a zombie attack. Let’s just say all Walking Dead fans need to try this at least once.
8. Sworkit: When we asked our readers what their fave workout app was back in 2013, they said Sworkit was an absolute knock-out. Now, three years later, we’re still loving this easy-to-use and mega convenient workout app — especially with all the new features. From syncing with our other fave health apps to targeted personalized workouts, this is a no-brainer when it comes to your daily fitness needs.
9. Abs Workout: Washboard abs are in our near future! Featuring a selection of awesome 10-minute targeted workouts, this is a great tool to whip out on commercial breaks or between episodes on a binging session.
10. The Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout: After falling in love with 7 Minute Workout a while back, I was immediately skeptical of this free alternative. But after trying it out for myself, I can honestly say that it holds its own. With tons of different workouts and a variety of intensity levels (which is super helpful!) it’s definitely a great download for your post-food-baby bod.
11. JEFIT: Made for bodybuilders and weightlifters, this app is great if you’re looking for a mega-targeted workout without going to an elaborate (and expensive) specialized gym. With an emphasis on interconnectivity and tracking your weekly progress, it is a great option for mirror selfie lovers (it’s okay, we all do it).
12. Charity Miles: If you’ve ever had that burning thought in the back of your mind that long distance running was pointless, you have obviously not checked out Charity Miles yet. For every mile you run on the app, a collection of corporate sponsors will donate a small amount to a charity of your choice. With over two million dollars raised so far, you can help this app do a lot of good in the world just with a simple one-mile run. Can you say #MotivationMonday?
13. Blogilates: One of our favorite fitspirations Cassey Ho — who graciously taught us how to eat healthy and fit in a workout while we travel — has finally put all of her genius knowledge into one free app. With access to her awesome YouTube videos, delicious recipes and a sprinkle of bonus content, you’re not going to want to miss this positive #girlboss enterprise.
What’s your go-to fitness app? Tweet us your suggestions by mentioning @BritandCo on Twitter.