When you’re a bride-to-be, you start seeing inspo for your wedding EVERYWHERE. But beyond scrolling through all the amazing photographers on Insta or the top Pinterest wedding accounts, there’s one place you might not have considered — and it’s easily streamable on Netflix. Take a break from your pinboards and to-do lists tonight to watch one or two of the movies below. Whether you need to remember what your wedding is all about or just want a good laugh, these funny and heartfelt movies will get you there.
1. 27 Dresses: Now that you’re a bride-to-be, you’ll definitely appreciate the humor in this charming rom-com where Jane (Katherine Heigl) goes through — you guessed it — 27 bridesmaid dresses. Learn what *not* to do for your bridesmaid style and get a laugh or three while doing it. (via IMDB)
2. Bride Wars: When you and your bestie are both planning a wedding, things can get, uh, competitive. But if you have two completely different nuptial styles, you’ll quickly realize that some details are not worth the fight. (via IMDB)
3. Father of the Bride: You already know that Steve Martin is a comedic genius, but combine that with a house full of crazy wedding planning and you’re in for a whole lotta laughs. If you have a parent whose overprotective nature makes it hard for them to let go, this classic will remind everyone that a wedding is more about joining a new family than letting go of the one you came from. (via IMDB)
4. Funny Face: Audrey Hepburn will forever inspire wedding aisles and runways with her tea-length dress from this classic film. If you’re looking for a dress that’s easy to wear without sacrificing glamour, style, or personality, Funny Face is a must-watch. (via IMDB)
5. The Great Gatsby: While you’re nailing down the decor details, this most recent adaptation of The Great Gatsby just might inspire every glammed out and gilded detail at your wedding. You’ll be on the hunt for a jazz band and vintage Rolls Royce before the credits even roll. (via IMDB)
6. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: If you’re as obsessed with The Hunger Games as we are, then you’ve probably daydreamed about Katniss’s pseudo-nuptial gown. If anything, an ethereal style like this one will get you searching for the OTT elegant dress of your dreams. (via IMDB)
7. Mamma Mia!: This Broadway-musical-turned-rom-com is based on a remote Greek island and will have you planning a destination wedding ASAP. Just picture your ceremony taking place on a private island overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. #SWOON (via IMDB)
8. The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement: There’s nothing like the pressure of planning a wedding in less than a month, amirite? That’s exactly what Princess Mia (Anne Hathaway) has to do for her to remain the heir of Genovia. Nevertheless, she puts her best face forward and gets the job done in one of the most gorgeous off-the-shoulder gowns we’ve ever seen. (via Disney Screencaps)
9. Sex and the City: Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker) and Big’s (Chris Noth) almost-wedding at the New York Public Library rocks *all* the classic architecture and timeless charm that dream weddings are made of. Even though it doesn’t happen for them here, it’s still great inspo for a grand city affair. (via New Life Cinema / Vogue)
10. Steel Magnolias : This one’s a tear-jerker but features one hell of a big day. Complete with a pink on pink (er, blush and bashful) palette and an iconic armadillo groom’s cake, this film will inspire you and your true love to incorporate all its cute little details. (via IMDB)
11. The Proposal: Margaret (Sandra Bullock) and Andrew’s (Ryan Reynolds) arranged wedding has a rocky start, but the string light inspo is gorg. Whether you’re having a modern wedding or decide to go for rustic chic vibes, you’ll be taking notes on this setup. (via IMDB)
12. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1: So, this might not exactly be a wedding movie, but Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Edward (Robert Pattinson) sure know how to throw a party full of boho vibes. No matter where you’re tying the knot, you might want to work in a dreamy wedding arch to make your first kiss totally magical. (via Summit Entertainment / Hollywood Life)
13. The Wedding Planner: Give your own wedding planning a break with this funny rom-com starring none other than JLo and Matthew McConaughey. As soon as you see these classy city hall nuptials, you may start re-considering that church or vineyard ceremony. (via Rotten Tomatoes)
15. Runaway Bride: No, we’re not suggesting you consider the whole runaway bride ordeal. We just can’t help ourselves when it comes to Julia Roberts’ and Richard Gere’s chemistry. Plus, you’ll get tons of ideas for your ultra-romantic outdoor wedding after watching this funny flick. (via Paramount Pictures)
Which of these films is your favorite? Share with us @BritandCo.