Just because summer’s over, doesn’t mean we can’t still camp! If you’re craving some time in the open air, there is a special time of year when the temperatures level to the perfect degree, especially in the desert. One of my favorite places has beautiful sandstone boulders and spiky yucca trees, giving the landscape this serenely clean atmosphere. The crowds in the summers can be overwhelming, but if you wait for the fall, the weather is prime, the night skies are clear AND there are fewer people. Win all around. If you ever find yourself in this part of California, here are our picks of favorite campsites in Joshua Tree, via our friends at Hipcamp!
1. Desert Mountain Majesty: With expansive panoramic views of the desert, Sky Camp is the perfect getaway in the high mountain range. With the coolest outdoor shower, bathroom with flushing amenities, a large patio with a kitchen and wood-burning stove and three different campsites, it’s the prime spot for individual or group camping. (Photo via Ezekial Gonzalez)
2. Camp Nylen: Only 17 miles from Joshua Tree National Park, this piece of land has amazing places to mountain bike and the best fire pit. There’s also a metal sun shelter nestled among the the rocks with picnic tables and a heat-proof stove table. (Photo via Daniel Brown)
3. Vintage Caravan: This gem is an outfitted vintage Boles-Aero caravan with a full kitchen and full bathroom. We can most definitely live this palm life in the outdoor, natural-watered Victorian claw-foot bathtub any day of the week. (Photo via Morgan Ayres)
4. The Ranch at Sky Valley: This is a great spot for those who want to visit Joshua Tree but don’t really want to rough it in a tent. This tiny structured house is central to many Jtree hikes, bike trails and hot springs. (Photo via Morgan Ayres)
5. The Desert Isle: This half-open structure is the best space for chillin’ out, setting up camp and sitting around the campsite’s fire ring. We can get down with the palm frond roof too. (Photo via Katherine Van Hengel)
6. Lovelight Tent Camping: This place has a dome structure reminiscent of our playground days. Swing from some hammocks and bask in the sunshine. There’s also an outdoor bath and kitchen! (Photo via Katherine Van Hengel)
Head on out before it gets too chilly — you’re bound to fall in love!
We want to see your fall camping adventures! Share with us on Instagram using the hashtag #iamcreative.
Author: Anita Yung