Today on Groundhog Day, we’re keeping up with a whole different kind of fashion forecasting. Instead of doting over designers’ seasonal visions, we’re buying into the prediction made by one Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog who’s the world’s most famous furry prognosticator. At 7:25 this morning in Pennsylvania, Phil saw his shadow, which traditionally means we’re in for six more weeks of winter. Since the brutal cold and constant snowfall might be sticking around a little longer than we would like, we’re taking this news as a cue to sort out the winter essentials that will get us — and all the other snow bunnies out there — through the remainder of this now-extended season. Scroll through to see which layers, accessories and warm-as-hell wares will get you through the chill-filled months ahead.
1. Everlane Slouchy Cashmere Tunic ($155): Versatility is key when the weather is cold, so this cashmere tunic is just the kind of polished, multi-wear piece to have within arm’s reach. Slouch it up over boyfriend jeans for outdoor errands or wear it as a sweater dress to the office with a pair of cozy-chic tights.
2. Plush Fleece-Lined Liquid Legging ($84): When you’re already dealing with so many winter layers, having a pair of leggings to slip on that both dress up your outfit and keep your legs warm is nothing less than a godsend. Add a wool trench and lined snow boots to max out on the warmth.
3. ASOS Color Block Oversized Square Scarf ($35): There’s no way gusting flurries will hit bare skin when your scarf is as big as this. Wrap an oversized accessory ’round and around for maximum protection, or wear it draped over your head and shoulders to provide more all-over coverage than your basic beanie.
4. River Island Today’s Outfit Print Sweatshirt ($50): Never underestimate the need for a stylish sweatshirt. One of the graphic, form-fitted variety could easily double as your snowed-in loungewear and your casual date night top, we’re thinking layered over a contrasting button up for the latter.
5. Forever 21 Heathered Turtleneck Top ($10): We all know how clutch a chunky turtleneck can be when it comes to winter dressing, but don’t discard the mock neck completely when you want to get rid of the bulk. A thin jersey turtleneck top can play out so many different ways: as a layer over a midi dress, under a boxy blazer and a strapless jumpsuit or even on its own with jeans and a delicate body chain to add a dash of elegance.
6. Urban Outfitters Polka Dot Colorblock Tight ($24): Tights are a winter essential whether or not you’re wearing a skirt. Be sure to skip over your traditional black stockings for thicker knitted tights that have personality. Just imagine these polka dotted ones peaking out under your favorite pair of ripped jeans — it’s just the playful touch your dead-of-winter wardrobe needs.
What other cold weather essentials made your shortlist? Tell us in the comments below.