Having a baby is a pretty big deal, which is why it’s so fun to celebrate! Sure, your friends and family may already be planning an epic baby shower, but why not have one more reason to celebrate? Get in on the party prep by planning a gathering to let everyone know if you’re having a little boy or girl. To get you started, here are eight creative ideas to put a fresh spin on your big announcement.
1. Host a Carnival: Invite your friends and family to step right up and take their best shot. To get started, plan out some DIY yard games, a few easy concession-style snacks, and a handful of small but fun prizes. Be sure to also include a chance to vote for their guess on whether it’s a boy or a girl before you reveal the news! (via Kara’s Party Ideas)
2. Send a Raven: If your gender reveal is lining up with the new season premiere of Game of Thrones this summer (or if you’re just a big fan), take some inspo from your favorite fantasy series and plan a dragon-egg reveal. Go all in with the theme or just take hints from the show to spice up the decor: Either way, it’ll be a fun celebration of your baby’s big announcement! You can buy a Little Elephant Crafts Dragon Egg ($8) on Etsy or DIY your own with a plastic Easter egg. (via Little Elephant Crafts)
3. ’90s Throwback: Give a nod to your own childhood with a killer ’90s throwback party. Put your hair up in your best scrunchie, break out Mario Kart, and get ready to deck your space with some of your favorite memorabilia. For the reveal, use a ’90s inspired cake, or wrap up a classic ’90s “boy” or “girl” toy and open it up for all to see. (via Brit + Co)
4. Once Upon a Time: Host a story-book reveal where a little prince or princess is announced to all the people of the land. Use quotes or themes from your favorite books as part of the invites, decor, and food. When it’s time for the big reveal, unwrap a classic fairy-tale book with a boy or a girl as the main character. (via All Over Creations)
5. Super Big News: Kapow! Are you having a Wonder Girl or a Superboy? Join forces with your friends and family to unleash the knowledge with a superhero-themed gender reveal. For the big moment of truth, hang a string diagonally from the ceiling to the floor and sit near the bottom of it. Next, have a friend slide a boy or girl comic-book action figure down the string for a unique way to announce the news. (via Hostess With the Mostess)
6. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star: How we wonder what you are, little baby! From twinkle lights in trees to glittery star banners and streamers, this is a theme that can easily be pulled off with some DIY or a quick run to a party store. And for the big moment, the parents-to-be can whack open a star-shaped piñata to reveal blue or pink confetti. (via The Gilded Sparkle)
7. Mythical Creatures: Create a search for the answers to the day’s most burning question: Will it be a bigfoot or a mermaid? Send the new parents on a scavenger hunt to get clues from friends and family to unravel the mystery of their newest addition. The final clue can lead the entire party to a box with either a bigfoot or mermaid cake inside. (via Sweet Sugarbelle)
8. Team Blue vs. Team Pink: In the invite, ask guests to arrive dressed in the color of their best guess. To make sure everyone can play along, have a stash of pink and blue accessories that you can hand out to guests who need a little help in deciding which team they’re on. Once guests arrive, sort the teams into groups and play some trivia to test their judgment. When the gender is finally revealed, the winning team gets a prize! (via House Nerd)
Ready to start planning your next party? Follow us on Pinterest for more ideas!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.