The Kentucky Derby is undoubtedly one of the best times of year to kick up your heels — and whether you gulped down a refreshing mint julep while making some (hopefully lucrative) bets or got silly in some of your fanciest headwear, the stars were right there with you in spirit, traipsing around at the Churchill Down grounds this weekend. Now that we’ve seen what they had to serve up in the style department, we’re taking a closer look at the rest of the crowd’s attire — more specifically, their hats. Check out some of the most outlandish styles we found below!
1. A Rose Among Thorns: This woman’s hat was so good, it landed her a spot on TV, with her friend posting a pic for evidence, along with the caption, “When your bestie kills it so hard at the #kentuckyderby NBC news puts her on Primetime!”
2. Bigger Is Better?: Say hello to a feathered topper that was so big, its wearer could barely see through the plumage! Ca-caw!
3. To Top It All Off: This Derby attendee went for broke with a horse, a cup, and… is that the leg lamp from A Christmas Story on a DIY disc hat?
4. Artful Dodger: Getting uber-creative with her handmade hat, this woman’s masterpiece boasted layers of tulle, faux flowers, and colored illustrations of the races all thrown into the mix. “Here is my very silly finished hat,” she said.
5. Garland of Roses: The traditional race winner adornment got an upgrade in this fancy hat, part of the headwear contest RHOA star Kim Zolciak hosted for the event’s most outlandish guests. (Photo via Dave Kotinsky/Getty)
6. A Head for Horses: Also entered in the contest were these two festive ladies, who paid homage to the races by wearing the majestic beast atop their lovely crowns. (Photo via Dave Kotinsky/Getty)
7. Snake Charmer: There was no way this Derby attendee was getting any harmful UVs, as she doubled up with a red turban-shaped snake hat AND a matching parasol. (Photo via Dave Kotinsky/Getty)
8. Butterfly Queen: Vanessa Hudgens MIGHT want to watch her back, ’cause it looks like this woman is coming for her title of Butterfly Queen in this jaw-dropping extravagana. (Photo via Dave Kotinsky/Getty)
Which hat was your fave? Tell us over @BritandCo.
(Photo via Dave Kotinsky/Getty)