The 1980s might get a bad rap when it comes to hair, but there are plenty of ways to channel the decade of neon eyeshadow, original Nintendo and acid wash without looking like something out of The Wedding Singer. (Heck, even skorts are having a renaissance!) Here are 17 of our favorite modern takes on ’80s hairstyles — no Aqua Net required.
6. Crimping: Crimping irons flew off shelves in the ’80s and had a resurgence in the late ’90s (thanks, Britney). Go a subtler route, a la Naya Rivera, by using a flat iron to crimp your locks. (Photo via Michael Tran/Getty)
7. Headbands: Whether bedazzled, confetti-clad or skinny and subtle like T-Swift’s, headbands are a godsend on lazy hair days. (Photo via Gonzalo Bauer-Griffin/Getty)
8. Shaved Patterns: Dudes owned this trend in the ’80s, but now ladies are rocking the geometric patterns. Have your stylist get creative with the razor on the side of your head, or at the nape of your neck. (via StayGlam)
9. Braided Sides: Want an avant-garde asymmetrical look without going the Skrillex route? Here ya go. (Photo via Ethan Miller/Getty)
10. Bows: Madonna’s look in Desperately Seeking Susan has held up over the decades. We love how this colorful, slightly askew bow looks more natural and feels a little less… Minnie Mouse. (via The Beauty Department)
15. Scrunched Waves: Put away the blow dryer, because air drying is where it’s at. Even straight-haired gals can get some serious festival-ready scrunchy waves with this tutorial. (via A Beautiful Mess)
What ’80s hairstyles do you wish would make a comeback? Will you try any of these? Let us know in the comments below!