If you grew up in the ‘90s, there’s a strong likelihood that, in addition to dreaming of becoming whatever it was you wanted to be, you had an alternate, more secretive aspiration as well: You wanted to be a witch. Or at least we did, and who could blame us? Long before American Horror Story was paying homage to the witchy (and crocheted!) ways of Stevie Nicks, ‘90s pop culture was churning out cool girl witches faster than Kylie Jenner churns out selfies (okay, that’s an exaggeration, but you get the picture)!
Not only were these ladies complete badasses who could do things we could only achieve in our wildest dreams, like cast spells, see the future, read minds and, oh, yeah — FLY — they looked So. Freaking. Cool. From the hardcore gothic types (Nancy in The Craft) to the cheeky prepsters (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Louise Miller in Teen Witch), there was surely a witch or two that captured your attention with her supernatural style.
With Halloween just around the corner, we can’t think of a better time to reminisce on the getups that were the epicenter of our 8th grade vision boards. Here are nine outfits that will make you want to give it all up and become a sorceress, stat.
1. Nancy, The Craft: While Nancy was admittedly a tad bit terrifying, she was also the ultimate ‘90s witch. Nancy had it all going on: dark lips, dog collar choker, rosary and fishnets, all perfectly juxtaposed with her formerly sweet but now revamped school uniform. She single-handedly made “goth” alluring with this look. (Photo via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
2. Rochelle, The Craft: Rochelle’s laid-back “field trip” ensemble has clearly stood the test of time — you’re just as likely to see someone sporting a floral maxi with a saddle cross body and a granny sweater to Coachella. It just goes to show, Boho never goes out of style. (Photo via Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
3. Gillian Owens, Practical Magic: The wilder of the two Owens sisters, Sally was also the more stylish, as evidenced here by this slinky tank and sarong combo, an outfit made in pure ‘90s heaven. The rose-tinted, Lennon style glasses made her even more hip, an enchanting queen among mere mortals. (Photo via Warner Bros.)
4. Sarah, Hocus Pocus: There was a reason all those young children heeded SJP’s call in Hocus Pocus: she was positively bewitching (pun intended) in her 17th century garb. Despite being a few hundred years behind the times, she looked damn good as a witch, and we’ve got a sneaking suspicion that that bustier had everything to do with it. (Photo via Walt Disney Pictures)
5. Louise Miller, Teen Witch: Scoff all you want — scrunchies aside, post-magic Louise was one happening chick. We’d still rock that chambray knotted-top (is that a bandeau I spy underneath?), and under the right circumstances, we wouldn’t say no to a tulle skirt, either. (Photo via MGM Studios)
6. Sabrina, Sabrina the Teenage Witch: This promo shot for Sabrina the Teenage Witch is 100% pure ‘90s gold: You’ve got a bodycon velvet scoop-neck dress and a matching tattoo choker necklace and bracelet combo. What more could you even ask for? (Aside from black wedge platforms, which we’re sure she’s also wearing, because duh.) (Photo via Wikia/WB)
7. Paige Matthews, Charmed: This genius shirt worn by the youngest of the Charmed sisters has the choker built right into its structure — if that’s not sheer brilliance, we don’t know what is. Also brilliant? Those bright red peekabo “don’t-f-with-me” highlights she’s sporting. (Photo via CBS Paramount Television)
8. Prue Halliwell, Charmed: Prue looks straight out of a dELiA*s catalog here: and let’s face it, anything found in the pages of dELiA*s in the ‘90s was automatically sealed with cool-kid approval — particularly in the velvet with mesh overlay variety (bonus points for awkward midi length). (Photo via Getty)
9: Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: While most of the show’s better fashion moments were left to Buffy or Faith (Cordelia for the basic types), season two’s “Halloween” episode saw Willow channel her inner ‘90s babe in this wrap-front crop top complete with choker and leather skirt. Ironically enough, season two was also the season in which Willow began to tap into her powers as an enchantress. Coincidence? We think not. (Photo via 20th Century Fox Television)
Which ’90s witch was your favorite? Share with us over @BritandCo.
(Featured Photo via Wikia/WB)