Looking for more Meatless Monday recipes that are light and filling this season? Look no further — we’ve got a carb-free takeout hack that’s packed with fresh veggies, herbs and crunchy peanuts! For this Pad Thai recipe, we’re cooking up spiralized zucchini instead of rice noodles and loading it with wholesome ingredients to keep you fuller longer.
Serves 2 (generously)
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized
- 2 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 orange (or red) bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 carrots, shaved into ribbons or spiralized
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 lime, juiced (more wedges for serving, optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
1. Place the spiralized zucchini in a glass bowl and microwave for 20 seconds, until warm and slightly cooked. Transfer the zoodles to a strainer and allow all of the liquid to drain. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium-high flame, add the sliced onion and sauté until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Then add the sliced bell pepper, minced garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the carrot ribbons.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, lime juice and chili flakes. Add the partly cooked (and drained) zucchini noodles to the skillet with the prepared sauce and toss to coat.
3. Fold in the chopped cilantro, basil and sliced scallions, along with the chopped peanuts. Toss to coat and serve immediately, before the zoodles become soggy.
What’s your favorite way to prepare Zoodles? Show us your recipe by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!