It’s best not to be late for this very important date! Oh hi, Lindsay here, Creative Content Producer at Brit + Co to help put a twist on your next girl date to show your BFFs you care with an Alice in Wonderland-inspired tea party. I have a soft spot in my heart for Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass, as my mom shares the name of the title character. Growing up, these stories were the source of inspiration for our family activities, like our secret club The Wonders. Our club meetings mostly consisted of playing with potato stamps, making clay creations and other craft activities. But, like Alice, the ultimate female role model, my mom, Alyce, was our fearless leader and served as the club president.
I think she and my family would totally approve and completely share my delight in bringing the whimsical world of Wonderland to life, in honor of the release of Alice Through the Looking Glass, now available on Blu-ray™, Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere. In the film, Alice’s absence from Underland has left her friends in a state of despair. She finds the Mad Hatter on his deathbed and must travel through time to save him from the evil Red Queen and the clock-like character Time. Inspired by the film, which serves as a reminder to show love for your besties, we’ve partnered with Disney to throw a tea party so lovely, that you’ll have no choice but to slow down, sip your tea and spend some quality time with your cherished friends.
Absolem-Inspired Tea Bags
Absolem leads Alice back to Underland, telling her “You’ve been gone too long, Alice. There are matters which might benefit from your attention. Friends cannot be neglected.” Taking his words to heart, these Absolem-inspired Tea Bags are the perfect way to add some extra friend love and overall loveliness to your tea party.
- 4 butterfly tag templates (download them here!)
- 4 tea bags of your favorite tea with the tag and string removed
- embroidery needle
- 4 pieces of six-inch-long cotton baker’s twine
- double sided tape
- Print and cut four copies of the butterfly template, leaving the white heart-shaped center intact.
- Tape the butterflies back to back using the double stick tape and trim off any excess tape.
- Fold the butterflies in half and cut the heart-shaped center pieces.
- Cut four pieces of baker’s twine about six inches long.
- Using the embroidery needle, thread the baker’s twine through the top of the tea bag and tie with a double knot.
- Attach the other end of the string to the base of the butterfly with a double knot and cut off any excess string.
- Soak in your favorite tea cup and relax.
Queen of Hearts’ Cookie Tarts (Makes 8 cookies)
Although the Red Queen doesn’t seem to have a heart, we thought we’d make one (or eight) for her with these beautiful Queen of Hearts’ Cookie Tarts.
- sugar cookie dough
- strawberry jam
- round cookie cutter
- small heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out the sugar cookie dough to about one eighth of an inch.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut 16 circles and place on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- While the cookies are still soft, re-cut the cookies with the round cookie cutter.
- Cut the center of eight of the cookies with the heart-shaped cutter.
- Spread a teaspoon of jam onto the whole cookies and then place the heart sides on top.
- Powder lightly with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
How do you show appreciation for your friends? Tweet us your tips to @BritandCo.
Photography: Kurt Andre
DIY Production: Lindsay Saito
Styling: Christina Cisneros, Karen Pham and Lindsay Saito