As a gal who rarely has to deal with the beauty battle that is humid weather versus makeup + hair (shoutout to your bomb weather, Bay Area!), I was recently confronted with this issue in my hometown of Austin, Texas. From the second I stepped off the plane, my hair immediately lost its style, frizzed TF up and needed to be tamed. My eye makeup mimicked that of a racoon, my BB cream was all over the place and don’t even get me started on my lipstick. Thankfully, I turned to sweat-proof products and my tried-and-true SXSW makeup hacks to get me through the weekend. I want to be extra prepared next time I head south, so I scouted seven beauty and hair products that’ll seriously beat the heat (and humidity!).
1. BECCA Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector ($36): Put this primer on before you start your makeup routine and you won’t have to worry about slippery foundation or your blush fading throughout the day. Your skin will be totally matte and your pores barely detectable.
2. Benefit Stay Don’t Stray Eyeshadow Primer ($26): This product will do more than just keep your eye makeup in place; you can also use it to prime your concealer and ensure your entire beauty look will hold up to heat and humidity. This one is a hot weather must-have!
3. Estēe Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup ($38): A foundation that boasts 15+ hours of wear is serious AF. This medium-coverage foundation stands up to anything from spin class to a summer day in Texas without budging — seriously.
4. Milk Makeup Weekend Lash Stain ($22): If your mascara is up against serious humidity, you’ll need a next-level formula to get the job done. This stuff is more than just mascara: It’s a dark, inky stain that coats your lashes in a deep color for up to two days. TWO. DAYS. You won’t have to worry about it smudging in the heat, because this stuff is made to last through anything.
5. Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray ($30): Once you’ve applied your makeup, spritz this spray all over your face (eyes closed!) to set it in place all day (and night) long. The formula contains patented “temperature control technology,” which actually lowers the temperature of your makeup so it won’t melt, smudge or fade. It’s science, y’all.
6. JOHN FRIEDA Frizz Ease Beyond Smooth Frizz Immunity Primer ($9): This is the hair equivalent of a makeup primer. Apply a few pumps of this stuff to your locks before you style to create silky strands that 100% stand up to frizz and sticky heat. You can use this product on all hair types, and it’ll actually make your hair more manageable each time you use it.
7. Oribe Impermeable Anti-Humidity Spray ($39): After you’ve perfected those beachy waves, set them in place — seriously in place — with this finishing spray. Not quite a hairspray but also not just a protectant, this wonder product works to seal in shine and sleekness on straight hair but will also keep curled hair looking flawless through heat.
In search of more summer-proof makeup? Follow us on Pinterest for beauty inspiration + product recs.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.