We all do it: wake up and immediately reach for our phones to scroll through Instagram, catching up on everything we missed while we were far away in dream land. And while it may be fun to see what your BFF was drinking at last call or watch the Kardashians rock out at yet another Bieber concert, why not add a kick of artistic inspiration to the mix and add these 10 art superstars to your feed?
1. Art for Breakfast: If you’re looking to expand your artistic horizons beyond your usual favs (whatever they may be), the anonymously curated Art For Breakfast account posts images of various painters’ work from all over the world, in all styles. From vibrant abstract nature scenes to muted realistic portraits, this account will introduce you to new artists you didn’t know you already loved.
2. The Jealous Curator: Speaking of curating, this jealous one generously posts work they find most envy-inducing, to the delight of their 99K followers. Collage, sculpture, painting, mixed media — it’s all present, and it’s all worth a look (and a like!).
3. Painting Famous: The Painting Famous mantra is simple: “We’re here to show the best paintings in the world!” It’s a relatively new account but one that’s quickly picking up followers with its consistent posting of some of the most thoughtful, striking and well-done paintings you’ve seen.
4. They Draw and Cook: If you’re into food and art, you have to follow this account. Paintings, digital collages, drawings and illustrations fill this feed — all with a food focus. And honestly, how can you not like an account that has an illustration of a unicorn and a doughnut in it?!
5. Art Studio KM: Kimberly Merritt is a California girl with a strong sense of color and control. Her paintings are pared-down abstractions that are evocative, with the proportion and scale blending together to create the most harmonious blend of pastels, watercolor and acrylic. You’re going to want to own one of Kimberly’s pieces (or two… or three).
6. Bobbie Burgers: Bobbie fills her feed with her abstracted floral compositions, candids of her family and behind-the-scenes snaps from gallery openings and her studio. The result is an effortless relationship between artist and viewer that makes you feel like you’re a part of the process.
7. Laszlo Pomothy: There’s something about watercolor that feels so alive and immediate, right? Laszlo knows exactly how to create that sense of fluidity and naturalism in his works. His city scenes are especially inspiring with their deep colors, unfinished edges and sketchy lines.
8. Michael Klein Paintings: If you’re looking for something on the realism side, be sure to check out Michael Klein’s traditional still life and portraiture. Calling back to the Dutch masters, Michael expertly plays with light and shadow in his paintings, which create undeniable drama and depth.
9. The Cartorialist: Carly Kuhn’s illustrations are playful, smart and often totally hilarious. Carly is a definite fashion girl, even if she likes to poke fun at the industry. If you obsess over fashion sketches, get ready for a new favorite.
10. Britt Bass: Seeing Britt Bass Turner’s large-scale abstract paintings in your Insta feed is like getting a healthy dose of vitamin D right through your phone screen. Bright, colorful and full of movement, her paintings are a direct representation of the artist’s own cheerful personality.
What’s your favorite Instagram account to follow for creative inspiration? Tag us on their latest photo @BritandCo to let us know!