The dreaded mid-season style slump: It’s enough to send even the most die-hard fashion enthusiast into a panic. Despite having spent days (maybe even weeks, if you’re really keen) planning your look for fall, painstakingly choosing the perfect statement coat, an arsenal of chic sweaters and a few killer pairs of ankle boots, there comes a time when even the most enviable new-season finds start to lose their luster. The solution? Consult our list of autumnal micro-trends. From metallic knee-high boots to sporty knits and classic corduroy, the nine trends below are street style-approved and a bit under the radar. Not to mention, they’re the key to injecting your tried-and-true duds with some serious cool factor.
1. Patent Leather: Zara Patent Finish Raincoat Parka ($100): Patent made an appearance back on the fall/winter ’16 catwalk and has since become a cutting-edge staple for the likes of It girls like Alexa Chung, Giorgia Tordini and a slew of other Instababes. And kicks don’t count. To rock the look like a bona fide #OOTD goddess, opt for a leggy mini skirt or a show-stopping coat in a fiery shade of red.
2. Zebra Print: Topshop Jinny High Cut Mid Shoes ($85): Despite their exotic edge, animal prints are practically neutrals — at least in our book. Leopard print has, as of late, taken the sartorial world by storm, but it’s zebra stripes that are truly the print to watch. Breaking up the monotony of monochromatic ensembles and shades of black and gray, they’re just the thing to add that little bit of extra somethin’ somethin’ to your #OOTD. Pop these pretty slingbacks on with leather-look trousers and a leopard print coat for a bold look that is ready to take the streets by storm.
3. Corduroy: Otto d’ame Mandarino Corduroy Dress ($156): When your carefully curated collection of velvet starts to read meh, enlist corduroy to bring your autumnal style back up to par. The classic fabric brings a certain je ne sais quoi to the table that just feels so right teamed with ribbed turtlenecks, statement ankle boots and quirky-cool jewelry.
4. Harnesses: Zana Bayne Leather Collar Harness ($125): ICYMI, harnesses are, oddly enough, having a moment. The unexpected accoutrement effortlessly adds tough-girl edge to your softest separates, be it a knit midi dress or a cashmere turtleneck. Not sure if you’re ready to test drive the trend? Opt for a lacy corset and proceed to style alongside a classic button-down and cropped jeans for a Man Repeller-inspired ensemble.
5. Statement Knee Boots: Matisse Truth Be Gold Knee-High Leather Boot ($225): Nothing comes between you and your go-to ankle boots — except maybe these gilded stunners. Consider a stunning pair of statement knee-high boots the perfect remedy for a serious case of the wardrobe blahs. Toss ‘em on with a printed shift dress, a longline wool coat and an embellished pouch for an after-dark ensemble that straight-up slays.
6. Zip Turtleneck: Zara Zipped High Neck Sweater ($40): ‘70s cool makes the transition to fall with zip-up turtlenecks giving endless athleisure appeal. Whether you layer it under a bell-sleeved shift or tuck it into a pair of high-waisted corduroys, the result is stunning every single time.
7. Herringbone: Mango Herringbone Pattern Wool Coat ($250): Is there anything classier than a heritage coat? We’re going to venture a no. Inject a little polish into laid-back basics by throwing this herringbone bad boy into the mix. Bonus points for menswear-inspired steppers and modern, streamlined tote bags that scream on-the-job perfection.
8. Embroidery: Knitted & Knotted Embroidered Petals Swing Dress ($198): While denim and footwear hopped aboard the embroidery train a while ago, the rest of your wardrobe is just now starting to follow suit. Our favorite interpretation of this micro-trend? Cozy sweater dresses and knits emblazoned with hand-stitched florals, especially when teamed with OMG-worthy ankle boots and messy topknots.
9. Stirrup Pants: Halston Heritage Wool-Blend Stretch Stirrup Pants ($179): You rocked them back in your elementary school days, but you never expected stirrup leggings to make a comeback. Marni has been hard at work changing all that, with their own iteration of the throwback trouser winning major style points with big-time bloggers like Pernille Teisbaek. A cool-girl alternative to your beloved skinny jeans, they’re the epitome of fashion that perfectly balances comfort and cutting-edge style.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.