It’s hard enough living far away from your BFF (and we mean hours away by train, plane or automobile), but you’re both particularly bummed to be so far apart right after she’s just had a baby. In a perfect world, you’d be able to share all these huge milestones with your bestie, but jobs, college, relationships and family sometimes keep the two of you apart. If you can’t be there in person, you can totally send all those loving vibes to her by sending a thoughtful care package that will warm her heart (and introduce your auntie status to their little one). Scroll on for five sweet new-mom BFF gift suggestions.
1. Read their baby a book. Let your wifey’s baby get used to your voice with a recordable baby book like the super sweet My Wish for You by Keely Chase ($30), which you can buy, record and send. Or you could do it in a more high-tech way with A Story Before Bed, a new app that allows you to select a whole bunch of books (with hundreds to choose from) and record your own narration (starting at $9.99 per month). Then your pal and her babe can see the pages and hear you reading on an iPad or iPhone. (Photo via Hallmark)
2. Send them a well-traveled stuffie. While you could simply send the new baby a cute stuffed animal, you can send so much more. Gift them a stuffed animal that comes not just from your heart but your town. Bring the stuffed animal out with you around your city and take a variety of photos of the plush in a pretty local park, sitting in a cafe and taking a ride on a merry-go-round. Then collect the photos and put them in a small album, that way they’ll get to know their new toy and where their mom’s BFF lives. (Photo via Getty)
3. Make them a diaper cake. You might not be able to be there to help change the baby’s diapers, but at least you can help with the diapers themselves. While this is a rather practical gift (and is pretty old school), it can also be pretty. You can create your own and send it to your BFF, or you can go to a pro like Etsy seller All Diaper Cakes and have them do the work for ya (for $50). (Photo via All Diaper Cakes)
4. Send them a baby book (and a mommy book). Every new parent should have a baby book to remember all those oh-so-fleeting memories. While this is a classic “hey, you just had a baby” gift, include a second (smaller) book of memories of you with the mom to go along with it. This is a way to celebrate your BFF’s old life and her new one. We love this handcrafted Hugs and Kisses XO Baby Memory Book ($58). (Photo via Hugs and Kisses XO)
5. Send them little gifts every month. You aren’t near enough to swing by and bring them a freshly brewed cup of coffee, a pint of yummy ice cream or a bouquet of flowers from your garden. But you totally want your BFF to know that you’re thinking of them… always. Spoil your mama pal with a subscription box like Mommy Mailbox that will send them a mix of items just for them. There are also plenty of boxes that include both mommy and babe or are just for the wee one. For inspo, check our list of nine carefully curated subscription boxes for new moms and moms–to–be. (Photo via Mommy Mailbox)
Which one are you most tempted to send to your long distance BFF? Tweet us and share your choice @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Cover photo via Getty)