Just when the ballet flat (shockingly) seemed to be on its way out, a totally unexpected and utterly feminine trend brought the iconic stepper back to its rightful place of sartorial power: ballerina-inspired style. Whether the trend is a response to fashion’s current ‘70s obsession (bodysuits made their way into everyone’s closets), the Valentino runway or just as another version of athleisure wear, one thing is for certain: The idea of infusing your closet with dreamy, dancer-inspired pieces is positively alluring. Raise your hand if you don’t want to effortlessly glide into the office with grace and ease? Right. Pirouettes aren’t, for most of us, a part of everyday life, so dressing in authentic dance-wear duds worthy of one of Degas’ dancers isn’t exactly necessary. These 12 items, on the other hand, give off some serious ballerina vibes and are versatile enough to wear with everything else you have kickin’ around in your closet.
1. ASOS Wrap Midi Skirt in Velvet ($62): As if this swoon-worthy midi skirt’s flowy silhouette and wrap-front detailing weren’t already enough to love, it went ahead and threw pink velvet fabric into the mix. Two knockout trends in one fabulously flirty piece? Sign us up! Wear it with a silk cami, strappy stilettos and classic leather jacket for a night out, or cozy up in a snuggly sweater and statement stud earrings to spice up your girlboss routine.
2. Free People Degas Ballet Flat ($68): The classic ballet flat is back and better than ever, with RN iterations boasting lace-up details that rival real-deal pointe shoes. Show off these retiré-ready kicks with rolled-up boyfriend jeans, a double-breasted blazer and a pendant-trimmed choker necklace for weekend errand running or sipping Champagne with your BFFs.
3. American Apparel 2×2 Rib Wrap Top ($36): Hello, new date-night essential. This red-hot number strikes the ultimate balance of elegance and sass with its dramatic plunge neckline and dainty bow detailing. Play it cool with high-waisted jeans and a delicate lariat necklace for coffee and croissants, or dress it up with an airy printed skirt and messy topknot for gallery hopping around town.
4. Reformation Laura Dress ($278): Sure, Carrie Bradshaw managed to get away with wearing a tutu out in public, but let’s be real — it’s not exactly a look you’d want to rock, unless peacocking was your preferred sartorial strategy. This sophisticated wrap dress, on the other hand, with its fluid skirt, pretty cap sleeves and OMG-worthy neckline, will get you noticed for all the right reasons. Siren red lipstick and romantically tousled locks are obligatory.
5. Zara Cropped Tie-Up Jacket ($23): Whether you’re hitting up happy hour or getting your namaste on, you’ll get plenty of mileage out of this ballet-beautiful coverup. Layer the blush topper over a strappy sports bra and leggings for your early morning workout, then put its versatility to the test, teaming it with a ruffle neck blouse, sharp jacquard dress pants and an artsy cocktail ring for the office.
6. Lush Stripe Off the Shoulder Long Sleeve Tee ($35): Get your Breton stripe obsession on board with this irresistible trend via a leotard-inspired top that would look lovely with a pleated leather midi skirt and ankle strap d’Orsay heels. Long sleeves balance out the shoulder-baring styling, ushering a favorite summery silhouette straight into fall, while the streamlined studio-ready fit calls to mind fouettés and arabesques.
7. ASOS Basic Velvet Choker Necklace ($9): Even if flirty wrap skirts and dancer-inspired dresses aren’t your thing, you can still get in on a bit of the ballet action. Scoop up a pastel velvet choker and proceed to style with everything from bomber jackets to floral maxi dresses for a pretty, ladylike look.
8. J.Crew Curved Metal Hair Elastic ($14): A sleek chignon might be a dancer’s signature ‘do, but your lazy girl sensibilities fall more in line with messy topknots and two-second half-up hairstyles. Take your don’t-care hair routine to the next level by dressing up a tousled bun with a statement hair tie or bun cuff for a hint of on-stage polish.
9. Zara Cropped Bow Trousers ($23): Introducing the embellished leggings that are about to change your whole approach to off-the-clock dressing. Pop them under a snuggly sweater dress for a super cozy ensemble that would look ah-mazing with geometric drop earrings and a messy fishtail braid.
10. Nasty Gal Shrug It Off Cold Shoulder Sweatshirt ($58): Upgrade your go-to sweat this season with a cold-shoulder pullover that would look just as good with a set of bright leggings at barre class as it would styled alongside a leather skirt and lace-up ankle boots at a Saturday night gig. Make it go the extra mile for a casual hang sesh by pairing it with everyday denim, glove shoes and a handful of glitzy pins.
11. H&M Chiffon Skirt ($13): Do like the ballerinas do and add a sheer chiffon skirt to your lineup stat. Put a cool-girl-in-training twist on the trend, with combat boots and an oversized turtleneck sweater for the ultimate balance of lazy-girl chic and grunge-era glam.
12. Out from Under Long Sleeve Shrug ($18): You may be a maniac out on the floor, but you’ve got a firm, fashionable head on your shoulders. When it’s too warm for a full-on extra layer, but too cool to step out solo, layer with a knit-rib shrug that was practically made with slinky slip dresses in mind.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.