There’s this huge obsession with all things French right now, from French-girl style to French-girl-approved hair down to French-girl brows — and we totally get it. When it comes to living life like it’s golden, these women have it all figured out. Why wouldn’t you want to look polished, chic, sophisticated and über-stylish? So, with today being Bastille Day, the national celebration of French culture, there’s no time like the present to nail your French-girl look and up your fashion game.
In order to dress like a Parisian woman this Bastille Day though, you’ve gotta shop like a Parisian woman first. Here are some signature style options to get you on the right track.
THE WHITE DRESS SHIRT
1. Topshop Short Sleeve Ruffle Shirt ($58) Whether it’s a classic crisp button-down or something a little more adventurous like this ruffle top, a white shirt is key to channeling your inner Marion Cotillard and standing out in a crowd. Plus, this top gets bonus points for being totally HR approved.
2. Dual Color Off the Shoulder Top by New Revival ($94): One of the keys to French style is that coquettish flair. Master the je ne sais quoi with this statement piece that beats the heat and bares a bit of skin.
THE BRIMMED HAT
3. J.Crew Panama Hat ($58): Tousled hair and a Panama hat really epitomize the carefree French-girl vibe. Plus, the combo of the straw and band pair perfectly with classic Breton stripes.
4. Banana Republic Andrea Felt Hat ($78): Hats add a bit of mystery and are, of course, très chic! Don this topper and walk like you’re strolling down the river Seine, even if you are only running a few errands.
5. Castañer Carina Espadrille Wedges ($89): Everyone knows an espadrille is an absolute MUST when meandering through the cobblestone streets of Paris. While the rest of your outfit might be laid-back chic, make a statement (and add some height) with a denim wedge.
6. Soludos Candy Stripe Sandals ($55): French girls have mastered the art of subtlety. Instead of wearing all of the colors of the French flag, keep it subtle with these striped sandals.
7. Quay Kitti Shades ($50): Give yourself a serious cat eye with this pair of matte black shades. They’re the perfect mix of a little flirtatious and a whole lotta chic.
8. Kate Spade Melly Sunglasses ($150): While Kate Spade’s tortoiseshell Melly sunglasses may have you thinking of Scandal’s Mrs. Grant, these stunners remind us of a different First Lady: style maven Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. Grab these if you want to catapult yourself to instant icon status.
9. Forever 21 BTB Two-Buckle Belt ($68): French style can be oh-so ladylike, but it can also be a little bit edgy. Channel Isabel Marant’s signature style in this double-buckle belt.
10. Supra Endura Silk Square Scarf ($49): What is a French girl without a silk scarf? Add some color to a subdued outfit or some elegance to a casual look with this printed silk square.
What will you be wearing to celebrate Bastille Day? Follow us on Pinterest for more French-girl style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.