Mascara is a beauty product I absolutely, 100 percent can’t live without. From creating the *perfect* product with my go-to mascara hack to regularly testing countless formulas, I definitely consider myself to be majorly obsessed. You can focus on building length, increasing volume and/or darkening your lashes with this makeup game-changer, but I look for formulas that tackle all three of those factors. Here are five of my personal picks for the best mascaras of all time, in no particular order.
1. TYRA Beauty B.I.G. Lashes Silk Extension System ($35): This product *delivers,* y’all — big time. The first time I used this mascara, I was legitimately blown away by how fat my lashes looked without veering into clumpy or goopy territory. They were noticeably longer and thicker, which made me SO happy. This mascara comes in a set. You apply the first product (called Silk Extensions) to your lashes, which deposits — you guessed it — silk-like extensions that make lashes appear thicker and longer. After that, you sweep on the second product (called Extending Mascara), which seals in the extensions and leaves behind a super dark, inky color. Note that Tyra herself spoke at Re:Make 2016 and TYRA Beauty is a Brit + Co partner.
2. Benefit Cosmetics Roller Lash Super Curling & Lifting Mascara ($24): An all-time fave of mine, this curling mascara never, ever disappoints. The brush is the real magic, if you ask me: Its bristles are stiff enough that your lashes will be clump-free and suuuper long. While this stuff stays PUT throughout the day, it is tough to remove, so I recommend using an oil cleanser to dissolve the heavy-duty formula. Get ready to flutter those lashes!
3. Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara ($23): ZOMG! Extremely thick, luxe lashes are in the cards for you if you turn to this cult favorite mascara. While this formula definitely lengthens your eyelashes, I notice the biggest difference in the volume. If I’m going out and want my eyelashes to rival falsies, I reach for this power player. I recommend using a makeup setting spray with this product because it can smudge a *little* bit, but it easily washes off at the end of the day.
4. Maybelline Volum’ Express The Falsies Mascara ($7): This pick does it all, straight up. If you have sparse lashes, swipe this mascara on and you’ll instantly look like you have a lush, full set. I use a lash comb with this particular product to make sure that I get length in addition to the mega volume it serves up. The slightly curved spoon brush is everythingggg and does a fantastic job lifting your lashes up from the root.
5. Rimmel London Lash Accelerator Endless Mascara ($9): I’ve been using this drugstore mascara since college and am constantly repurchasing it. I call this my “purse mascara” because it’s affordable enough to keep stocked in all your purses ;) This formula definitely focuses more on building out the length of your lashes versus the thickness, so grab this mascara if you’re after sky-high lashes that look natural.
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo and must-have products.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.