With a slew of upcoming summer weddings on your iCal, time’s running out to snatch up the perfect dress. Depending on the location of the ceremony (is it beachfront, in someone’s backyard or in the tropics?) and your relationship to the bride and groom, what’s considered acceptable (or unacceptable) wedding weekend attire is up for debate. Personally, we think there are far too many unspoken sartorial rules to keep track of — if you want to show up in a slightly risqué bodycon dress, then why the heck not? As long as it’s in line with the dress code and you feel 100% confident wearing it, we say go for it! Take on the hot July heat with these 17 non-controversial bodycon dresses you could totally get away with wearing to a wedding. No side-eye here!
1. Forever 21 Tropical Cutout Mini Dress ($20): Have a wedding in the Bahamas to attend, will find a dress worthy of a stint in paradise. This tropical scuba dress, complete with a plunging neckline, leaves just the right amount to the imagination. With the chance of rain, humidity and sweltering temps, a casual dress with an open back and airy cutouts is your best bet.
2. McQ – Alexander McQueen Cutout Body Con Dress ($490): Be it a wedding ceremony, reception or post-wedding day brunch, this abstract red-orange dress can serve double-duty for a multitude of affairs. Remember, modest is hottest!
3. J.O.A. Front Cutout Bodycon Mini Dress ($75): More tasteful than provocative, this scalloped pink bodycon number screams SUMMER (just check out that well-placed cutout!). With an extra floppy straw hat and strappy sandals in tow, it’s made for hitting the dance floor.
4. ASOS Asymmetric Print Bandeau Midi Dress ($78): Too risqué? Not this hip-hugging midi dress featuring a bold architectural print and a peekaboo slit. Class it up with a timeless chignon and a metallic clutch for an outdoor wedding with business casual attire.
5. H&M Sleeveless Dress ($35): Don’t rule out your everyday LBD just yet. When in a rut, you can always elevate or pare down a plain back dress with the right accessories. This form-fitting option featuring a crossover neckline can be styled with a sleek leather satchel and simple pearl studs for an elegant nighttime look or tossed on alongside a pair of flat sandals during the day.
6. Keepsake Interlude Lace Midi Bodycon Dress ($170): Put the va-va in the voom with this delicate ice blue lace dress that will have everyone talking for all the right reasons. The low neckline may come across as a bit scandalous to some, but if you ask us, there’s nothing wrong with being confident. Skip the diamonds for a rad choker necklace (and peep-toe ankle booties) for a look that’s so RN.
7. ASOS Strappy Cami Maxi Dress With Side Slit ($36): Wow from the front (and back) with this navy showstopper that’s DDG in every way. The plunging neckline and thigh-high slit deliver just the right amount of sex appeal for a wedding under the stars. All that’s missing is a bold red pout and some sparkly steppers for a hint of Old Hollywood glamour.
8. Zara Guipure Lace Shift Dress ($100): You’ve got parentals to impress and first impressions to make — keep it tame with this PG-approved mustard lace shift dress that hugs in all the right places without being overly revealing. Where it’s lacking in scandal, you can make up for in the shoe department — we’re talking stilettos all the way, baby!
9. For Love & Lemons Noir Lace Mini Dress ($224): Sure, the come-hither appeal is there, but there’s something about this midnight blue bodycon mini that still manages to be reserved at the same time. Complement the eyelet lace detailing and mesh inserts with a set of chandelier earrings for an after hours-approved look that hits the mark every time.
10. Missguided Ribbed Bodycon Back Detail Midi Dress ($65): Turn down for what? Bring your A-game with this lime bodycon dress that’s totally acceptable for watching your college bestie walk down the aisle. (Bonus points if you show up twinning with your squad.) The strappy back and showy neckline call for your prized going-out heels and a leather jacket (in case it gets chilly after sunset).
11. Boohoo Suki Tropical Print Bandeau Bodycon Dress ($30): Knock ‘em dead with this Hawaiian print bandeau dress that’s a shoo-in for any casual or beach formal wedding. Between best friends getting hitched and bridesmaid duties popping up out of nowhere, you’ll need a dress with this much look-at-me appeal. Colorful leis unfortunately not included.
12. ASTR Barcelona Dress ($85): Keep the wedding day blunders at bay with this striped knit dress that can be slipped on with ease alongside some resort-ready espadrilles. While the high neckline reads modest, the lazy girl-approved bodycon silhouette is all sorts of comfortable.
13. Forever 21 Strapless Floral Bodycon Dress ($25): While everyone else is sporting an off-the-shoulder silhouette, opt for this floral print bodycon dress with a ruffled neckline that’s equal parts playful and flirty. For an effortless look, natural beach waves and a sun-kissed glow are your best accessories.
14. Missguided Cape Body-Con Dress ($58): Plunging neckline? Check. Flouncy sleeves? Check. Dramatic cape? Triple check. Achieve #squadgoals by sporting this fierce orange bodycon dress with sky-high platforms for your BFF’s wedding reception and after party.
15. Topshop Floral Lace Bodycon Dress ($190): Be careful not to steal the bride’s thunder in this red carpet-worthy stunner that’s fit for a summer wedding (and beyond). Everything from the dark berry hue to the intricate lace has got us swooning hard. Round out your sophisticated look with dangling statement earrings and sparkly eyelids, and let the compliments roll in.
16. Triya Ice Bodycon Midi Dress ($193): We’re low-key obsessed with this exotic palm leaf midi dress that calls to mind a wedding in the tropics. When the temps are rising, a pair of wear-everywhere gladiators and dramatic mirrored sunnies are non-negotiable.
17. ASOS Petite Floral Strappy Back Pinny Bodycon Dress ($45): Conquer a wedding-work weekend with this conservative floral pencil dress that will take you from a mid-morning boardroom meeting to watching the bride and groom recite their vows in a traditional church ceremony. Swap out your power pumps for some sensible wedges and let the celebrations begin!
Would you wear a bodycon dress to a summer wedding? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.