Mornings are hard no matter how much coffee’s at your disposal. When you’re not operating at your best, it’s especially hard to argue with the convenience of the drive-thru breakfast sandwich, but we promise that these 15 homemade creations are definitely worth waking up early to throw together. And for those mornings when time is of the essence, make sure you plan ahead and have some breakfast bars and muffins tucked away for healthy, on-the-go eating.
3. Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Sandwich: Let us introduce you to seven layer dip in breakfast sandwich form. Stuffed with spicy chorizo, salsa, crema, cheese and a fried egg, it may require the use of a fork and knife. (via Country Cleaver)
4. Coffee Bacon Waffle Sandwiches: Coffee, maple syrup and brown sugar combine to create a unique overnight rub for store bought bacon. Top halved waffles with cream cheese, sweet dates, arugula and a few crisp slices of your perked up bacon to create a uniquely delicious breakfast experience. (via Bakeaholic Mama)
5. Kale, Tomato and Tofu Breakfast Burritos (Vegan): Seasoning tofu just so creates a vegan-friendly sub for scrambled eggs; stuffed into a wrap along with a few superfoods, this is one breakfast sando you can definitely feel good about. (via Veggie and the Beast)
7. Wicked Avocado Toast With Roasted Red Peppers and an Over Easy Egg: Take avocado toast to new heights with this recipe. (via The Devil Wears Parsley)
9. Griddled Croissant With Chive Cream, Smoked Salmon + Pickled Onions: A buttery, flaky croissant is a definite upgrade from the bagel usually sandwiching this classic combo. (via The Kitchy Kitchen)
10. Cheddar Waffle Breakfast Sandwich (Gluten-free): Cheesy, homemade waffles are a fantastic swap for bread — because even gluten-free folks deserve a tasty breakfast sandwich! (via A Beautiful Mess)
11. Gruyere, Fig Jam and Arugula Breakfast Sandwiches: A creamy Mornay sauce is spread on whole grain toast followed by sweet fig jam, peppery arugula and a runny egg to create an unforgettable combination suitable for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (via How Sweet Eats)
13. Cheesy Egg Sandwiches With Homemade Sausage: Making your own breakfast sausage takes barely any effort at all — who knew?! Use it to create the ultimate sausage, egg and cheese muffin. (via Williams Sonoma)
14. Horseradish Dill Bagel Sandwich: Kick up cream cheese with a spoonful of horseradish and a few fronds of fresh dill. The spread adds a ton of flavor to this veggie-filled, egg-free sandwich. (via Cinema and Spice)
15. Bacon and Egg Sandwiches With Pickled Spring Onions: At first glance this sandwich may appear totally unassuming, but a few easily missed elements — pickled scallions and spicy mayo — pack some unexpected punch! (via Bon Appétit)
If you had to wake up to just one of these tasty creations, which would you choose? Let us know in the comments and Tweet us a look at what you’re eating this AM!