Forget the Oscars — the Cannes festival is the big-time film event we wait for all year long, not only because it’s a preview of what’s about to become hot in Hollywood, but it’s also an opportunity to ogle at a slew of to-die-for fashion (we’re looking at you, Blake Lively) set against a totally OMG-worthy backdrop — the Côte d’Azur. Swoon. Flowing gowns, dazzling bling and accessories that every It-girl dreams of — it’s enough to invoke some serious sartorial envy. Your everyday agenda might not call for Chanel Couture, but you definitely don’t need crazy expensive duds to pull off some of this year’s award-winning looks. On your next GNO or date night with bae, ditch the boring old bodycon for one of these red carpet-inspired styles.
Sasha Lane’s Midi Skirt + Cold-Shoulder Top
Forget premieres — photocalls are an #OOTD gold mine, with your favorite celebs stepping out in next-level ensembles you can actually rock IRL. For her appearance at the American Honey photocall, Sasha Lane straight-up stunned in a midi skirt and cold-shoulder combo that perfectly fused modern minimalist and classic feminine styles. Whether you’re meeting your S.O.’s ‘rents for the first time or gallery hopping with the girls, you can’t go wrong with this timeless pairing. (Photo via Ian Gavan/Getty)
1. Reformation Lilith Top ($128): Don’t even think of letting summer pass you by without adding a cold-shoulder number to your capsule wardrobe. Teamed with your favorite jeans or a classy accordion-pleat skirt, it’s the key to endless on-point #OOTDs.
2. Ann Taylor Punch Stripe Pleated Skirt ($129): Vibrant stripes are always in style, making this show-stopping skirt a bona fide closet basic. When you’re not twirling it out on the dance floor, pair it with a mock-neck top and platform Oxfords for an on-the-job edge that’ll earn you serious style cred at the water cooler.
3. Louie Suede Ankle Wrap Sandal ($44): Sasha Lane may have gotten away with going nu-pieds, but hitting the city streets sans kicks isn’t exactly something we’d recommend. These ankle strap sandals are the next best thing, with their low-profile styling and dreamy mint suede.
Lily-Rose Depp’s Athleisure Outfit
Now here’s something you don’t see every day — Lily-Rose Depp redefined Cannes style by showing up to The Dancer photocall in a badass knit hoodie and shorts combo, and to say we’re obsessed would be an understatement. Do the laid-back-cool thing for a casual dinner date or after-work drinks by teaming a smart sweatshirt (pass on that zip-up hoodie you take to the gym) with high-waisted shorts and statement sandals, for a polished look that reads effortless chic. (Photo via Andreas Rentz/Getty)
4. Missguided Cold Shoulder Sweatshirt ($43): Any opportunity to wear your coziest duds on the daily must be seized, and this cold-shoulder number makes it all possible. Dress it up with a glitzy ear climber and dramatic cat eye for a Saturday night gig, then give it the corporate treatment with belted trousers and menswear-inspired loafers once the work week rolls around.
5. C/MEO COLLECTIVE Greatest Love Short ($160): Even the most basic of basics will feel like a million bucks when you throw these bright bottoms into the mix. The high-octane color and contrast piping bring a modern edge to the classic high-waist silhouette, and make the perfect partner to graphic prints and geometric jewelry.
6. Miss KG Emmie Lilac 3D Flowers Heeled Sandals ($138): Take a note from Lily-Rose’s style book by styling these 3D steppers alongside nonchalant separates for a perfectly balanced look you’ll want to take along to brunch or a backyard bash.
Lily Donaldson’s Plunge Maxi Dress
Nineties fever hit the Cannes red carpet en force thanks to Lily Donaldson, who accessorized a plunge maxi dress with a dainty choker necklace and dramatic berry lip for a look with boho-babe-meets-grunge-goddess appeal. Consider this formula your signature move for summer 2016 — whether you’re headed to a seaside wedding or a picnic in the park, the throw-on-and-go get-up nails it every single time. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
7. Endless Summer Love Shakin’ Maxi ($98): Enter the free-wheelin’ frock you’ll be living in all summer long. Consider it a key component to your festival uniform, paired with gladiators and a leather bolo necklace.
8. Vanessa Mooney Rhythm & Blues Choker Necklace ($145): This summer’s piece de resistance? A choker necklace with plenty of pizzazz. For maximum impact (and ’90s appeal), toss it on with a strappy top, then pull hair up into a messy topknot to ensure it stays the focus of your outfit.
Amal Clooney’s Buttery Yellow Gown
Amal Clooney’s Money Monster style in one word? Flawless. Between the Grecian silhouette and soft, pale yellow hue, the human rights lawyer and all-around #girlboss’s Versace gown was the things sartorial dreams are made of. Add this cheerful hue to your summer lineup STAT and proceed to pop it out at every opportunity — rehearsal dinners, work events, whatever. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
9. Maeve One-Shoulder Maxi Dress ($168): This sunny yellow number is diva-approved and a shoo-in for your desk-to-drinks routine. Slip on a sleeveless blazer to make it feel office-appropriate, then add in a metallic belt and bold lipstick to hit the town.
10. BaubleBar Bliss Drops ($34): While your yellow frock is already bold on its own, dare to go there by popping on a pair of these bright coral and turquoise earrings. #nailedit
Victoria Beckham’s Strapless Jumpsuit
Victoria Beckham showed off some of her style know-how by ditching the traditional dress entirely and walking the red carpet in a streamlined jumpsuit and classic pumps. You do you, girl! When it’s too hot to think or you’re simply short on time, look to this one-and-done piece for a sophisticated look that can be styled on the fly. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
11. Express Black Strapless Jumpsuit ($98): Proof that less is definitely more, this strapless jumpsuit is ready to take your after-hours wardrobe by storm. Keep it simple with don’t-care hair and a pair of suede mules, or spice things up with colorful kicks and a quirky box clutch.
12. Metal Mania Ponytail Holder ($8): With warm weather in full swing, lazy-girl updos are an essential component to every outfit — especially when the dance floor is involved. For a little extra somethin’ somethin’ to get those tresses into tip-top shape, slip this high-shine hair tie onto a low ponytail for a runway-ready style in seconds.
13. Zara Mid-Heel Leather Shoes With Ankle Strap ($70): Too much color — is that even a thing? Slip these neon stilettos on before you head out the door to add a punch of personality to a monochromatic ensemble.
Mélanie Thierry’s Peasant Dress
At The Dancer photocall, Mélanie Thierry pulled off a clever style hack that is guaranteed to get you more wear out of your favorite festival-approved frocks. By simply adding a pair of strappy retro heels and a topknot, the French actress instantly injected the tassel-tastic dress with a more refined feel. (Photo via Andreas Rentz/Getty)
14. Vanessa Virginia Belled Silk Peasant Dress ($188): Al fresco affairs and margaritas on the veranda call for a swingy silk dress with a free-spirited feel, and this red-hot number won’t disappoint. Take it along for the ride with beach babe waves, gold stacking rings and cute platform clogs for #OOTD perfection.
15. Shellys London Melody Platform Sandal ($110): Striking just the right balance between RN and retro, these peep-toe platforms make the perfect partner in crime to a carefree peasant dress. The only thing missing? A killer pedi.
Naomi Watts’s Silver Slip Dress
Naomi Watts did her best Kate Moss at the Money Monster premiere in a silver slip dress decked out in shimmery crystal embellishments that transformed the grunge-era silhouette into an ultra glamorous getup fit for the red carpet. With a shortened-up silhouette, it would be the ideal companion for a rendezvous at that new speakeasy or wine bar (Champagne, please). (Photo via Clemens Bilan/Getty)
16. Express Silver Midi Slip Dress ($50): For GNO, this slinky silver show-stopper is a given, but it can totally hang too. Team it with slip-on sneakers, a bomber jacket and colorful sunnies for a wear-anywhere look that will take you from a Saturday morning flea market to a late-night poetry slam at your fave local bar.
17. Dannijo Anzo Oxidized Silver Plated Swarovski Crystal Earrings ($295): Okay, so they’re a major splurge, but these glitzy drops are one of those forever pieces you’ll bust out whenever you need a bit of extra glamour in your life — like Monday morning, when those work-week duds are feelin’ mega drab.
Nicole Warne’s Off-the-Shoulder Gown
ICYMI: Off-the-shoulder everything is a thing, and Nicole Warne took the trend to new heights when she showed up to the Slack Bay premiere in this scene-stealing gown. The elongated silhouette makes the style feel evening appropriate, with refined finishing touches amplifying the effect. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
18. Zara Printed Off-the-Shoulder Dress ($70): Romantic dinner on the agenda? You don’t need to don Dion Lee. This floral midi dress will feel right at home with flickering candlelight and views of the sunset.
19. Rebecca Minkoff Flower Leo Clutch ($125): Straddling the line between safe and statement-making, this flowery envelope clutch is what your go-to date-night outfit has been missing. It’s understated enough to rock on the regular, but the 3D embellishments ensure your impeccable style sensibilities won’t go unnoticed.
20. M. Gemi The Gita Sandal ($148): Who says you have to rock heels on date night? Say sayonara to stilettos and step out in a pair of low-riding sandals that are just as comfortable as they are chic.
Marion Cotillard’s Denim Dress
Keepin’ it casual seemed to be the theme at this year’s Cannes film festival, and Marion Cotillard’s denim duds are proof. The From the Land of the Moon starlet went all-out French-girl cool for a photocall, donning a distressed denim midi dress and studded platform heels. The result? A DDG outfit you’ll definitely say oui to. (Photo via Ian Gavan/Getty)
21. Mango Denim Shirt Dress ($80): Be it a battle of the bands or a night of bar hopping, this don’t-mess denim dress is a certified crowd-pleaser. Cue the tough-girl vibes by accessorizing with studded ankle boots, a fringe-flecked bag and flashy ear jackets.
22. KG by Kurt Geiger Embroidered Wedge Sandals ($195): Soften a structured denim dress without compromising on attitude with these embroidered floral platforms that aren’t messing around. DO pair with a dramatic dark pedi for undeniable rock-goddess feels.
Melissa George’s Embroidered White Gown
Melissa George wowed in white at the Cafe Society premiere with an elegant A-line gown decked out in floral appliqués and embellishments that lent her formal getup a touch of folksy flair. For a decidedly modern finish, the Australian actress rounded out the look with sleek architectural jewelry and moody berry lipstick. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
23. HD in Paris Snowflower Shift Dress ($158): Forget eyelet and lace — step up your LWD game a la Melissa George this season with embellishments and embroidery that bring the drama through texture and visual intrigue. For an OMG-worthy finish, siren red lipstick or electric eyeliner is a must.
24. Jennifer Fisher Chaos Earring ($245): Drop earrings are always a yes, but if you’re looking to set your style apart, these sculptural stunners are it. Teamed with a feminine frock or ladylike separates, they create a cool contrast that’s guaranteed to pull in mad double taps.
Kristen Stewart’s Silk Tube Skirt and T-Shirt
Calling all cool girls in training: Consider Kristen Stewart’s two-piece ensemble your new go-to for everything from cocktail parties to swanky rooftop soirees. Effortless and 100% It-girl approved, it’ll pass dress code with flying colors and keep you cozy to boot. What’s not to love? (Photo via Clemens Bilan/Getty)
25. Theory Maity Satin Skirt ($150): Even more versatile than your most coveted LBD, a black satin skirt will do you right every time, whether you wear it at the office with a classic blouse or style it alongside a band tee and leather jacket for a rockin’ night out on the town.
26. MSGM Ruffles T-Shirt ($150): You could do like Kristen Stewart and do the whole monochromatic thing, or you could tuck this funky top into your sleek satin skirt for an artsy ensemble any fashion darling would swoon over. The choice is an obvious one.
27. Suzie Layering Statement Necklace ($30): Pearls? Please. An outfit this badass calls for add-ons with just as much attitude. This layered chain necklace nails it without going over the top — perfect for your no-fuss kind of style.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.