There’s no garment quite like the pencil skirt. The knee-length number is not only a wardrobe staple that’s universally flattering no matter your height or body type, but its figure-hugging nature makes it one of the easiest ways to look and feel sexy — since it shows off your natural curves in a way no other garment can quite match. So why is it that we solely think “office wear” when we brush past our collection? Pencil skirts can (and should) exist beyond 9-to-5, and these 12 celebrities show us how the sophisticated silhouette can work round the clock.
1. Blake Lively: Pair your glitziest embellished pencil skirt ($105) with a jersey tank to keep it in the rotation after your office’s holiday party. Mimic the sparkle with rhinestone stacking rings or a gem studded choker.
2. Olivia Wilde: This might be the easiest way to dress up a white tee. A color block pencil skirt ($35) brings the posh pop of color while you stay 100% comfortable.
3. Solange Knowles: A classic knit pencil skirt ($9) adds cozy texture any outfit, no matter if it’s paired with a breezy cami or chunky knit — a cropped or oversized sweater both make the silhouette right on trend.
4. Scarlett Johansson: This graphic black and white pencil skirt ($20) is just asking to be paired with another bold pattern. Skip the plain tee and aim to pair your large abstract prints (like the skirt) with small, softer patterns on top.
5. Keri Russell: This is the season to invest in some next-level basics, and that includes high-quality tees in a variety of neutrals (don’t skip over gray) to go with your leopard print pencil skirt ($99). Choose a less saturated spots pattern to keep it classy.
6. Diane Kruger: Not only is pattern mixing taken to the next level with this stripes/floral duo, but the styling (over a shirtdress!?!) is game-changing for any fashion girl. Follow suit or choose a striped pencil skirt ($135) with a bold hemline to pique interest without the added fuss.
7. Jennifer Hudson: Leather is as present on the racks as cotton this season, and when it’s draped into such a flattering shape, it’s just as easy to wear. Nab a faux leather pencil skirt ($48) to pair with your best going-out top and pumps or even a tee and your live-in booties on the weekends.
8. Olivia Palermo: Denim on denim is back in every form, including the pencil skirt. Slip on a distressed jean pencil skirt ($218) with your go-to chambray top and don’t look back.
9. Cate Blanchett: Take the figure flattery to the next level with a peplum pencil skirt ($198) that flares and fits in all the right places. Tucking or tying off your top is a must — or make it an excuse to rock a cropped tee.
10. Mindy Kaling: It doesn’t get much easier than slipping into a matching set. Plus, once you’ve wowed in your co-ord, let your suit go to work as separates: your top is an instant upper for boyfriend jeans while your pencil skirt ($124) would look just-as impressive paired with a longline vest.
11. Michelle Williams: Channel your inner mod with a front-button pencil skirt ($63) that looks effortlessly chic with a breton striped top. Wear with cutout flats to keep the look feeling 2014.
12. Mandy Moore: Embrace bold blooms with a floral pencil skirt ($70) that can be dressed up or down with ease (the secret weapon: Switching out a blazer for a moto jacket).
What’s your favorite way to wear a pencil skirt out of the office? Tell us how you style it in the comments below.