For most of us, when the cooling winter temps make it tougher to show a little skin, we turn to cutouts. A patch of skin here and there is just enough to keep us feeling like we didn’t completely lose our edge to Old Man Winter. But the latest celebrity dress trend might have you rethinking your go-to way to show off just a sliver of skin when it’s cold outside — or otherwise. Thigh-grazing slits have been more and more prominent on the red carpet this year thanks to the style world’s obsession with everything breezy + boho, and it looks like they aren’t slowing down this winter. So the next time you want to step up your style with a flash of flesh, whether it’s with a mile-high slit (that you can totally wear over tights) or just a peekaboo-style cut, use these 12 celebs as your style muses.
1. Gigi Hadid: Want to be a risk-taker? Deploy a mile-high slit for a smoldering, super glam effect. Go simple and sleek with your accessories: The main focal point of this frock is *body*. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Jenna Tewan Tatum: Skim and you’ll miss it! For an understated take on the latest trend, try this crisscross slit. Go for a bold, focus-pulling shoe (think: vibrant pumps) to really set it off. (Photo via Charley Gallay/Getty)
3. Karlie Kloss: Tall girls, take note: A dramatic slit further elongates your frame, taking you to goddess-like heights. Simply Stunning. (Photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)
4. Kylie Jenner: Want to up your fashion game by 50 shades? Try a waist-high side slit and pair with a slick strappy heel, and all eyes will be on you. (Photo by Mark Davis/Getty)
5. Lady Gaga: Channel your inner modern Lauren Bacall with a thigh-grazing gown. Keep things fresh by picking a classic silhouette with an eccentric texture (mesh, scales, metallics) for a *stunning* effect. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/Getty)
6. Lauren Conrad: Here’s a easy-breezy take on the sexy trend. Opt for a knee-length slit on a flowy Grecian gown and top it off with soft, wavy hair, a touch of eye shadow and a nude lip, and you’ll be red-carpet ready. (Photo via Jason Meritt/Getty)
7. Laverne Cox: Here’s a perfect TGIF look: Business in the front and party in the back. Try a back-slit bodycon dress with a cheeky cut, pair with a metallic pump and you’ll be turning heads wherever you go. (Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)
8. Naomie Harris: This understated ensemble with a reserved slit makes for a smoldering outfit that doesn’t feel too bare. (Photo via Matthew Eisman/Getty)
9. Nina Dobrev: Now that’s a balancing act. Set off the dramatic top half of your gown with tastefully executed slit for a pitch-perfect ensemble. (Photo via Mark Davis/Getty)
10. Sarah Hyland: If you want to make a statement, combine our two favorite trends with a form-fitting dress that’s cut in all the right places. Go bold with your eyeshadow and lips for a gorgeous, sultry effect. (Photo via Jason Kempin/Getty)
11. Selena Gomez: Let out your inner siren! Try a strapless gown (or even maxi) with a thigh-high slit, and you’ll be gorgeous AF. (Photo via Jonathan Leibson/Getty)
12. Vanessa Hudgens: We’re in love with a perfectly executed vampy outfit. Start your look with a polished mane and red-wine lips, and go for it with lacy sleeves and a middle slit. (Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)
What do you think of the slit trend? Tweet us @BritandCo!