Despite the heartache that comes along with major celebrity breakups (Taylor and Calvin dunzo? We can’t even), sometimes it really is for the best. Going beyond a conscious uncoupling, or whatever you want to call it these days, there’s something about a cold turkey breakup that triggers celebs to really step up their outfit game and parade their newly single status. Because there’s more to it than celebrity breakup hairstyles, we’ve taken it a step further by recapping some of our favorite post-breakup style statements. These OMG-worthy transformations may not have happened overnight, but boy did they get us talkin’.
1. Kourtney Kardashian: If Kourtney Kardashian was still recovering from her July 2015 fallout with Scott Disick, then she’s certainly not showing it here. Nearly two months after the split, she walked the red carpet at the MTV Video Music Awards (with her famous sisters in tow, of course) in a sultry red jumpsuit. The come-hither halter neckline was further elevated by her sleek, straightened hair and next-level accessories. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Emma Roberts: Between her milkmaid-inspired braided updo and enchanting purple ombre Tory Burch gown, Emma Roberts made us swoon hard at last May’s Met Gala. (Who would’ve thought she was on the brink of her second breakup with then-beau Evan Peterson?) If Emma’s dress could talk, we imagine it would be saying “doing just fine, thanks.” Take note: When harboring a bad breakup, getting all gussied up for a fancy gala is the ultimate revenge. (Photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)
3. Hilary Duff: Mere days after finalizing her divorce with Mike Comrie, Hilary Duff stepped out at an event in LA looking more DDG than ever. Rocking a cutting-edge purplish-pink choppy bob, she proceeded to slay in a form-fitting white strapless dress and classic black pumps. Her look gave us major “newly single and ready to mingle” vibes. (Photo via Tommaso Boddi/Getty)
4. Kaley Cuoco: Remember when Kaley Cuoco was married to tennis stud Ryan Sweeting for a hot second? To commemorate their whirlwind romance, Kaley got the date of the couple’s wedding nuptials inked on her back. Post-divorce, she didn’t waste any time getting it covered up with a picturesque moth — not as a symbol of her metamorphosis (or newfound freedom) per se, but mostly because it was large enough to cover up those darned Roman numerals. You’ve got to hand it to Kaley for her good humor in a less-than-ideal scenario.
5. Selena Gomez: It wasn’t until Selena Gomez cut Justin out of her life for good that she was finally able to shed her goodie-two-shoes pop star image. Case in point: In a sea of floor-sweeping gowns, Selena wowed in a head-to-toe Louis Vuitton ensemble — everything about it (from the leather bralette to her entrance-making lace-up stompers) seemed to usher in a new era of post-Biebs fierceness. (Photo via Larry Busacca/Getty)
6. Paula Patton: While Paula Patton might’ve been burned by Robin Thicke in the past, she’s not letting him get the last word this go-around. While promoting her latest film, Warcraft, she made sure to show off more than just a little décolletage. Complete with a Bardot-inspired neckline and a peekaboo midriff cutout, Paula’s red-orange jumpsuit demands attention. (Photo via Theo Wargo/Getty)
7. Taylor Swift: A few short months after TayTay unveiled her new Vogue-approved red carpet style, the unthinkable happened — she and Calvin Harris announced that they were parting ways. As the saga continues to unfold, we can’t help but notice how Taylor is going back to her girl-next-door roots, complete with side-swept bangs, A-line dresses and her signature red lip. Stay tuned for the style evolution of #Hiddleswift.
What’s your favorite breakup transformation? Check us out on Pinterest for more celebrity style inspo!