A beautiful wedding shower is the ultimate way to bring everyone together for food, fun and friendship ahead of the bride’s big day. Actress Jamie Chung’s recent garden-inspired celebration was certainly no exception. Her party featured gorgeous greenery, non-traditional touches and, most importantly, a true reflection of the bride’s unique style. To get the inside scoop about the event, plus helpful tips for hosting a fabulous celeb-style soiree, we checked in with Celebrity Wedding Planner and Wedding Paper Divas Style Partner Mindy Weiss. Here are her six top tips for a fantastic shower.
1. Let the bride’s personality shine. “While we tend to think of celebrity bridal showers as being all glitz and glam, most celebrities opt for a more customized, personal party look reflecting the bride’s style,” says Mindy. If the bride loves traveling, hiking and the outdoors, for instance, Mindy suggests incorporating an earthy menu and rustic decor. Or, if the bride is a city girl and prefers a party at a chic restaurant, you might consider renting out her favorite brunch spot. Poolside or beach-themed showers can also be fun for brides who are a bit more casual.
“A more laid-back bride might enjoy s’mores and a bonfire on the beach with her gals, while a destination bride may appreciate a travel-themed shower with different stations representing various countries,” she explains. “If the bride loves wine tasting, plan her shower at a vineyard, or, better yet, create your own vineyard wonderland by lining trellises with vines and hanging plants.”
Whatever theme you ultimately choose, use everything at your disposal — from the stationery and flowers to the menu and activities — to help bring the vision to life. “For Jamie’s shower, to really emphasize that classic garden theme outside of florals and greens, I had Wedding Paper Divas’ Lovely Garland design applied to the menus and placemats,” Mindy says. “Those small details often make all the difference.”
2. Honor the couple’s love story. “Jamie wanted her shower to not just incorporate her stylish taste, but be a true reflection and celebration of her love with fiancé Bryan,” Mindy tells us. “They love pizza and wine, so we planned Jamie’s shower inside Jon & Vinny’s, a great Italian spot in L.A., with the best pizza and fantastic wine.”
Sharing unique details about the couple is another great way to keep their love story front and center. “I created acrylic blocks on Shutterfly that had little-known facts about Jamie and Bryan’s relationship, and used them as key table decor,” Mindy says. “You can also do this using photo frames or signage — a really easy way to pay homage to the couple.”
3. Dial up the fun. “Make sure there’s plenty of time for visiting and chatting, but don’t forget to include a few fun games, activities or pastimes here and there,” Mindy advises. Before Jamie’s shower, for example, her bridesmaids interviewed fiancé Bryan Greenberg to see just how well he knew his bride-to-be. “Bryan aced the test by answering almost every question correctly, from Jamie’s least favorite food (kale salad), to whether she’s a morning or nighttime person (morning), to the three things in her dream home (big backyard, pool and a huge closet)” Mindy says.
She also loves the classic toilet paper wedding gown game and racy “In Her Words” game, where someone discreetly notes what the bride says (“Just what I wanted!”) as she opens her gifts. Then, afterward, the bride’s words are read back to her as what she’ll say on her wedding night. “Just make sure the bride is OK with adding a little spice to the shower,” says Mindy.
4. Bring the outside in. “Bringing the outdoors in is one of this year’s biggest trends,” Mindy says. For Jamie’s shower, she used garland table runners, hanging plants and flowers and even a flower crown-making station to channel a spacious, garden party-like vibe.
“Hanging plants and nature-inspired elements can bring an indoor, minimalist space to life,” Mindy explains. “It’s something anyone can do with a little imagination.” Carry the trend into autumn by using orange fall roses, chrysanthemums, dahlias and sunflowers to capture the rich colors of the season.
5. Involve the bride’s partner. “The groom is now becoming more and more involved, either with a surprise visit or by being a guest of honor himself,” Mindy tells us. “Bryan surprised Jamie toward the end of her shower with gorgeous flowers and a moving speech.” Schedule a partner drop-in during your bestie’s party, or host a co-ed shower as a special way for the duo to celebrate with close family and friends.
6. Preserve the memories. “Hire a photographer, or assign someone from the bridal party to take photos throughout the event,” Mindy suggests. “The bride will appreciate being able to keep the memories alive.” Along with snapping photos of the bride and guests, be sure to capture all of the beautiful details, including flowers, decor, food and favors.
How will you bring celeb-inspired flair to your best friend’s bridal shower? Share imaginative ideas below.
(Photos via Jana Williams for Wedding Paper Divas)