You can definitely celebrate Halloween without blowing a ton of cash. Whether you’re looking to save because you already bought a work-appropriate Halloween costume or blew your Halloween budget on a costume for your pet (best reason ever), we’ve got you covered. The wonders of creativity and a little DIY-magic mean that there are plenty of cheap Halloween costume options to go around. Here’s all the Halloween inspiration you need to plan your costume for $10 or less.
2. Bunch of Grapes: Here’s a simple (and adorable, no matter your age) solution to an utter lack of a costume. Inflate a bunch of purple balloons and put some green leaves on your head. Problem solved.
3. DIY Cowgirl: This has to be one of the easiest Halloween costumes ever. Even if you don’t think you have the right stuff in your closet, you probably do. She’s not even wearing cowboy boots but the look totally works.
4. Don and Megan Draper from Mad Men: What a perfect idea! Emulate one of TV’s most glamorous former couples, Don and Megan Draper, from the hit TV show Mad Men. Throw on a suit and your best ’60s or ’70s garb, and you’re ready to go.
5. Ace Ventura from Ace Ventura: Pet Detective: Grab a pink tutu, some combat boots, a quirky sense of humor and all the animals you can find. That should be pretty much all you need for this epic throwback costume. (via Twisted Sifter)
6. Tom + Jerry: One of you will go as a cat and the other will go as a mouse. Fake ears, makeup, and the case begins.
7. Velma from Scooby Doo: Get ready for some serious retro vibes. Grab your glasses, a ribbed turtleneck, an above-the-knee skirt, and knee-socks — preferably in burnt orange — and you’ve got yourself the loveable geek from Scooby Doo!
8. The Dude from The Big Lebowski: Here’s what you’ll need to pull off a costume for The Dude: a bathrobe, a t-shirt (preferably white), flip flops, sunglasses and a White Russian (in hand). Remember: The Dude abides.
11. Gogo from Big Hero: If you’re a fan of the Big Hero movies, why not try your hand at this DIY Gogo costume? A purple wristband, tights and some purple streaks can’t be too hard to find. (via cosplayingwhileblack)
12. Blue’s Clues: What a cute way to DIY a couple’s costumes! Go as the loveable blue-spotted dog and get your S.O. to dress up as Steve — all he needs are khakis and a green rugby shirt! (via Buzzfeed)
17. Fred and Daphne from Scooby Doo: Grab your S.O. and dress up like the cutest couple from Scooby Doo! Other than Shaggy and Scooby (the doggone most lovable BFFs), of course. (via Magenta and Lime)
20. Cast of Real Housewives: Put on your best dress, pop a bottle and sharpen your claws for this costume. Halloween just wouldn’t be the same without a fight between feuding housewives. (via Brit + Co)
23. Kelly Kapowski from Saved By The Bell: Everyone in the ’90s was in love with K. Kapow. Relive the girl crush with those iconic stonewash jeans and your finest crop top.
24. Angela Chase from My So-Called Life: Between the latest Delia’s catalog and Claire Danes, every ’90s girl had some serious fashion envy going on. Get comfortable in pre-teen fashion with flannel, layered dresses and Doc Martens.
26. Your Dog: This costume not only commemorates your very best friend, but it’s pretty darn funny, too. This costume is one of the punn-iest we’ve seen yet!
27. Spice Rack: Of course, there’s always a resident goofball who’s willing to take pun-ny costumes to the next level! This take on the spice rack will bring the LOL’s all night long.
28. Angel and Devil: So you won’t get any brownie points for creativity on this classic Halloween go-to costume, but it’s super easy to pull-off! Halloween night wouldn’t be the same without spotting an angel or devil around, anyway. (via We Heart It)
29. Toilet Paper Zombie: Some might call this a “mummy,” but we’re A-okay with this toilet-papered zombie pair. We’re willing to bet you have all the necessary supplies at home already! (via We Heart It)
30. Bill Lumbergh: Mmm, ya, if you could just dress up as this for Halloween that’d be great. Go full office-themed this Halloween by using these glasses as the hated boss from Office Space one night and The Office’s Dwight Schrute the next. (via Lol Riot)
32. Lady in Red: Find a killer red dress and a hot pair of heels, because you’re bound to get tons of attention when you show up as the Spanish dancer emoji. Don’t worry if you don’t have the moves to go with it — just nail the signature pose and you’re good to go.
35. Marty McFly from Back to the Future: Time travel is trending, right? Take that flannel shirt, grab a denim coat, a vest and a skateboard, and you’re well on your way to becoming Marty McFly. (via Brit + Co)
36. Larry the Cable Guy: Not only is this costume easy, but you’ll have people laughing all night! Once you get over the shock of ripping off the sleeves of your flannel shirt, that is. (via Brit + Co)
40. DIY Cat Mask: If you’ve procrastinated to the extreme, grab a paper bag, draw a cat face, attach faux-whiskers, and cut some holes so you can see and breathe. If you’re super sar-cat-stic, this is the costume for you. (via The Art Room Plant)
Do you have any other budget-friendly Halloween costumes? Let us know on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.