Is the cheese ball reminiscent of something your mom would have pulled out for a potluck years ago? You’re not alone. Cheese balls were totally a thing in the ’80s. They’ve made their rounds, and they’re back and better than ever. We’ve got 22 incredible cheese ball recipes that prove it: What was once old is now retro-cool. There’s nothing more welcome at our party table than a big old ball of cheese. You might call them appetizers, but here’s our little secret: Sometimes we call them lunch! Grab a cracker and let’s talk cheese!
2. Bacon Jalapeño: We pronounce this the king of all cheese balls. It’s got everything good going for it: savory cheeses, flavorful seasonings, crispy bacon, and a pop of spicy jalapeño. Y-U-M. (via Brown Eyed Baker)
3. Red Velvet: Red Velvet wants her cake back. And under normal conditions, we wouldn’t condone cake swiping. But this time, perhaps it’s best right where it is. Let’s be reasonable. It would take far too long to remove all those chocolate chips. Those. Chocolate. Chips. (via Taste and Tell)
5. Chocolate Strawberry Cake: This cheese is deceptive. It’ll make you believe you’re eating chocolate-covered strawberries. Scoop into the giant chocolate truffle to reveal a sweet secret: real strawberry pieces. (via What’s Cooking, Love?)
6. Li’l Smoky: Move on over, cheddar. There’s a new cheese in town. Smoked gouda is soooo flavorful. This ball will disappear fast. Make sure you have ample ingredients on hand for a second ball. Yes, a second ball. (via Martha Stewart)
12. Mini Ball Bites: With minimal effort, you can make a batch of these mini cheese bites with impressive results. Customize them by swapping out the cheeses and rolling them in a variety of nuts and dried fruits. We prefer minis over the big boys… because you can devour one all by yourself. (via Five Heart Home)
13. Vegan Cranberry Walnut: This modernized version is salty, savory and just a tad sweet. It’s a great flavorful addition to a party spread and we love that it’s anything but ordinary. (via Vegan Yack Attack)
18. Salted Caramel Apple Dip: Okay, it’s a bit more cheese dip than actual cheese ball, but we couldn’t help including it. The core of this recipe is a cream cheese spread, topped with salted caramel sauce, Heath bits, and mini chocolate chips. Pass the apples, pah-leeze! (via Brown Eyed Baker)
20. Mini Balls in Filo Shells: These bite-sized cheeses are savory bonbons. Old-school cheese balls show off modern flair as they sit prettily in their own crispy little filo shells. They’re fun to look at but, more importantly, fun to eat. (via A Spicy Perspective)
21. Touchdown Cheese Ball: Score big time at your next tailgating party when you show up with this bacon-studded baby. In fact, we’ve decided to rename it. A cheese ball this loaded should have an equally beefed-up name. How about “Big Skinned Winner”? (via Kudos Kitchen)
Ready to dive into a big creamy ball? Roll it out in the comments below!