Here’s something you probably already know: When it’s freezing outside we want to warm up, and when it’s incredibly hot we want to cool off. And since we’ve already covered wintery soups with some slurp-worthy recipes, plus warmer days are on their way, it seems about right for us to help you out with some of the chilled variety. If you haven’t had cold soup before, let us promise you that the hot stuff is quite delicious when served chilled. We’ve got 20 fantastic recipes to show you how to experience some straight from your own kitchen.
1. Chilled Fennel Soup With Buttered Walnuts: Fennel is one of those things that everyone forgets exists outside of restaurant salads. We’re bringing around some fennel awareness with this soup, topped with buttered walnuts. After one slurp of this, you won’t ever forget about fennel again. (via Framed Cooks)
3. Mix + Match Melon Soup: Melons are the superstars of summer fruit, as depicted by this beautiful mix-and-match soup above. Check out how great cold soups look in beverage glasses. So good. (via The Nutrition Professor)
4. Apple, Carrot and Ginger Soup With Cashew Dukkah: Apples, carrots and ginger are basically the best combination of everything healthy. They go together in drinks, salads and now, a fancy soup. If you’re not sure what dukkah is, we looked it up for you: It’s an Egyptian blend of nuts and seeds, but that’s irrelevant at this point. You’re already sold on the idea that you just gotta try it. (via A Tale of Two Bougies)
5. Cold Asparagus Soup: Soups like this one are excellent for a post-workout snack because they’re both nutritious and light. This one in particular is a lean, mean, green machine. (via Vanilla and Spice)
7. Buttermilk Fennel Vichyssoise: Vichyssoise (pronounced vish-ee-swaaz) is traditionally a thick soup made up of a blend of leeks, onions, potatoes and cream. This one also features fennel, because why not. That fennel awareness movement is up and running, folks. (via Food52)
11. Watermelon Gazpacho: Please serve this gazpacho-in-a-glass at every single party you have all spring and summer long. And then invite us to every single party you have all spring and summer long. (via Green Kitchen Stories)
19. Chilled Corn Soup: Corn is the staple of any Midwestern celebration during the dog days. There are about a million ways to be creative with the glorious golden grain, and here’s #1,000,001. (via Sunday Suppers)
Which chilled soup is the coolest to you? Tell us in the comments below!