We know the struggle, ladies. Sometimes commuting to and from work is half the battle in becoming a bona fide lady boss. Between the changing of the seasons and our hectic work schedules, we just don’t have time to bumble around like amateurs. Whether it’s a sudden change in the weather, a hairstyle gone flat or a forgotten dinner date after work, we’re constantly on the lookout for those essential beauty and wardrobe staples that’ll help make our lives as ladies-on-the-go easier. After all, once you’ve arrived in style, that’s when the work really begins. Here are our must-have commuting essentials to help you stay on top of your game.
1. Yosi Samra “Serena” Foldable Glitter Flats ($106): The secret to these foldable flats is that they’re actually designed for travel. While these steppers are super adorable, the sweet case they come in can serve double duty as a makeup organizer or carryall. Bonus points all around! This option is tailor-made for those last-minute cocktail get-togethers.
2. LOFT Essential Trench ($148): A trench for all weather possibilities is a must, not to mention it’s a wardrobe staple for every Insta-approved babe. A versatile coat like a classic trench is the perfect way to stay prepared for whatever turn the temps may take.
3. MVMT Watches Boulevard Series “Rodeo” ($115): Obviously you can turn to your phone for the time of day, but nothing says profesh like a haute watch. Never miss the train or be late to work again by picking up one of these Kylie Jenner-endorsed MVMT watches. We’re in love with this trendy rose gold style from their LA-inspired collection.
4. Nordstrom Dip Dye Cashmere & Silk Scarf ($98): A scarf is a must-have for every train-riding trendsetter on the planet, and we’re style-crushing hard on this dip-dyed ombre number. Use it to dress up any outfit when you’re on the move or to keep you snuggly warm on the evenings you work late.
5. Chan Luu Cashmere & Silk-Blend Scarf ($195): To really treat yourself on that tiresome commute, pick up one of these super luxe cashmere scarves. It’s a little-known fact that cashmere cures all. Rock this scarf as an added layer when you have to dash from desk to dinner with no down time to speak of.
6. Zara Metallic Tote ($40): When it comes to traveling to and from work, the size of your tote definitely matters — the roomier, the better. This spacious yet structured metallic tote is ideal for holding client briefs, laptops and all of our beauty essentials.
7. Understated Leather 13″ Snake MacBook Pro Case ($120): Investing in a chic laptop case is mandatory, gals. Not only are you protecting your valuable asset, but it also gives you another way to show off your signature style.
8. Sonix ‘Evil Eye’ Portable iPhone Charger ($45): Whoever the genius is that invented the portable iPhone charger deserves to be recognized. Buy one of these babies and you’ll never have to worry again about your phone dying at the absolute worst time.
9. Skinnydip Rose Gold Ear Bud Headphones ($16): A pair of trusty earbuds will be your best friend during a crowded subway commute. Just shut your eyes and drown the world out to the sounds of your personal oasis.
10. S’Well 17-Oz Marble Water Bottle ($35): There is no better incentive to get your daily 64 ounces than to use a cute AF water bottle. Marble is so trendy RN, but these come in other cute patterns as well.
11. ‘Standard Baggu’ Nylon Tote ($9): This Baggu tote is the best friend you never knew you needed. Whether you’re handling groceries, gym clothes or your overnight necessities, you need one of these bad boys on standby. It’s super compact and easy to bring along anywhere. When you’re done using it, you can store it right in your bag and have it with you at all times.
12. Ted Baker London ‘Citrus Bloom’ Umbrella ($59): Unexpected rainstorm? No problem. So long as you’ve got an unbelievably adorable umbrella on hand, that is. This cute and compact option is sure to keep the gloom of a rainy day away.
13. Nike Packable Breaker Half-Zip ($100): The best part about this water-resistant raincoat is that it folds up into a tiny pouch. Keep it with you while you’re out and about and throw it on if the weather gets misty.
14. Urban Outfitters Slouchy Ribbed Sock ($14): There is nothing worse than a pair of wet socks on our cold feet — which seems to happen to every commuter caught in the rain while we await our train or bus. We’d suggest having an extra pair at the ready just in case the weather goes south.
15. Sorel Out N About Chelsea Boot ($115): Come winter time, these low-rise snow boots are exactly what you’ll need for days when the weather’s turned downright nasty. Just keep them by your desk and pop ’em on when the time comes. Mark our words — you will never regret this purchase.
16. Smith’s Rosebud Salve ($8): Swear off chapped lips forever by picking up a tin of this commuter staple. It will keep your lips moisturized, softened and smooth at all times.
17. Milk Makeup Mini Lip Color ($12): The miniature size of this rich, matte lip color makes it perfect as your go-to lippie for a night out. Better yet, grab all three long-lasting shades and store some at your desk and one in your tote to enjoy the brand’s moisturizing components all day, err’ day.
18. Jo Malone ‘Orange Blossom’ Cologne ($65): When you feel like most of your life is spent getting to where you need to go, it’s an absolute must to pick up a travel-sized version of your favorite fragrance. For an instant pick-me-up that will come in handy when you have plans after work, opt for this decadent scent with hints of water lily and orange blossom.
19. Kocostar Dry Hands Rescue Mask ($4): We seriously hate it when our hands get that cracked, dry feeling from one too many days spent holding on to a rail as we journey in and out of the city. That’s why we like to rely on an easily portable moisturizing solution like this ultra-hydrating mask for your hands.
20. Uncle Harry’s Essential Oil ($8): A little aromatherapy can go a long way after a hard day at work. When you’re not as close to the comforts of your own home, it can help to bring along some essential oils to meet your every need in the meantime. Hint: Lavender is great for stress reduction, peppermint is wonderful for clarity and lemon should keep a smile on your face.
21. UO Rose Zip Cosmetics Pouch ($8): When it comes to keeping your work tote tidy, rule number one is keeping it clean and organized. With an eye-catching cosmetics pouch like this one, you’ll have no trouble spotting it, keeping your next-level beauty look just a short reach away.
22. Jouer ‘IT’ Cosmetics Bag ($65): For those of us with truly arduous trips back and forth, a sturdy leather pouch like this one will keep all your receipts (hello, expense report) safe and sound. It’s cute, stylish and strong, just like all of us working girls.
What are your essential commuter must-haves? Let us know on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.