Chain hotels are always there for you. But if you can stay at a treehouse, houseboat or luxe log cabins, you might want to pass on that cookie-cutter inn. Here are some fave Airbnbs that sure beat the childhood bedroom you just spent the holidays crammed into. Cue your Pinterest board of vacay wishlists and excuse us while we pack.
1. LA Yurt ($85+): Glampers, giddy up. This charming yurt is your perfect teepee getaway loaded with rustic charm. Situated next to a firepit and hammocks, it’s pretty much begging for some late-night s’mores marshmallows action.
2. Treehouse Canopy ($65+): Goats? Pigs? Emus (yes, you read that right)? If farm animals are your kinda party, you’ll love this luxe treehouse. But it’s not all about hippie farm love here: It’s also nestled in “Little Haiti,” just 15 minutes from the airport and South Beach, Miami. Enjoy the enchanting views and be sure to pack some quality reading material.
3. Malibu Yurt on a Farm ($165+): If home-cooked, organic meals fresh from the farm sound enticing to you, this is your Airbnb. A three-course meal will only set you back $39 (BYOB!) and might arrive on your plate to the tune of white truffle farfelle bow tie pasta with porcini mushrooms and baby vegetables served with a kale-quinoa-grape salad and a homemade dessert. With great beaches, trout fishing and Malibu State Park all local attractions, there’s no shortage of great nearby activities should you decide to leave your comfy abode.
4. Charleston Houseboat ($189+): If coffee or cocktails with harbor views in the breezy embrace of your deck sounds more intriguing, it’s time to say “Hey ya’ll” to this South Carolinian gem. This spacious houseboat will have you wondering why you don’t vacation in captain’s quarters more often. While you’re in town, be sure to check out a sunset cruise with Sandlapper Tours to wash down that vino with some phenomenal views and new friends.
5. Finger Lakes Cottage ($150+): Tucked away in Dundee, New York, this rental includes breakfast and a whole lotta allure. Nearby wine tours? Check. Hiking? Hello, Watkins Glen State Park. Race tracks? You betchya. And did we mention wine? Don’t miss a meal at lakeside Bully Hill Vineyards.
6. Washington Log Cabin ($118+): White Salmon, Washington might not be on your radar for vacation spots… yet. But with nearby wind surfing, kite boarding and snowmobiling, it probably should be. And let us not forget how #cabingram perfect this cozy abode is. Don’t worry, there’s high-speed WiFi (Direct TV too!) so you can document your travels.
7. Nashville Tour Bus ($99+): With all the recent buzz this southern hotspot has been garnering, you might think it’s out of your budget. Think again! Live like the band in this sleek camper, only two miles from downtown Nashville. Don’t leave town before hitting up a honky tonk like Robert’s for some live music and libations.
8. Catskills Trailer ($125+): We can’t decide what’s neater: The fact that this is from the ’50s or that the farm animals include sheep, goats, rabbits and more. Catching a concert at popular outdoor venue Bethel Woods (home of Woodstock)? Grab your designated driver and get your Phishead or DMB-superfan fun started. Or, opt for a low-key hike in picturesque Sullivan county.
9. Vintage Trailer ($85+): Hello, Oakland! This beautifully restored vintage caravan has a nice yard with chickens, bikes to borrow and a garden to sit in and sip tea or coffee. San Francisco is under a half an hour away, but you might have a hard time peeling yourself away from this former Katie’s Cupcake food truck. Glamping, you’ve never looked better.
10. San Francisco Treehouse ($275+): Located in Burlingame, California (about 15 minutes from San Francisco), this no-children-allowed retreat is ideal for that candlelit dinnertime romance you and your main squeeze have been craving. Be sure to venture the 20 minutes to the Pacific Ocean for a little beach day fun!
Which one of these swoon-worthy finds would you most want to stay at? Tweet us your thoughts @BritandCo!