Step aside, velvet (we still love you though) — there’s a new a material in town that will be in heavy rotation soon enough. Though it may be as unsuspecting of a fabric as any — talk about a blast from the past! — word on the street is that corduroy will be dominating your cold-weather capsule wardrobe in due time. AKA, this micro trend will be blowing up your Insta feed before you know it. While you may have been a proud owner of corduroy pants (or even a cord jacket) way back when, the latest interpretations of this super soft fabric will have you investing in ALL the corduroy things this season. Unlike velvet, which tends to take on a more after-hours vibe, corduroy is all about dialing things down. Proceed to channel your inner ’70s queen with these 19 statement pieces you can start wearing RN.
1. J.Crew Campbell Blazer in Corduroy ($168): Say buh-bye to the stuffy pant suits that would be considered fashion suicide in any boss babe’s book. Introducing the punchy red corduroy blazer you’ll be able to wear for years and years to come (we’re swooning hard over those brass buttons). You best believe this signature piece will look just as ah-mazing with high-waisted jeans, Breton stripes and vintage Ray-Bans as a plaid popover shirt and a wool mini.
2. Silence + Noise Corduroy Aviator Jacket ($159): Swipe right for this maroon-hued flight jacket that will replace your go-to bomber like that. We’re telling you, corduroy is where it’s at this season, especially when you factor in all the boho maxis you’ll inevitably be pairing them with. The best part? The Sherpa lining will keep you extra toasty during early-morning commutes when you’d rather still be curled up in bed. *Praise hands emoji.*
3. ModCloth Whirl’s Greatest Skater Skirt in Cayenne ($50): There are very few silhouettes more versatile than a skater skirt that can be dressed up or down just in time for the holiday party circuit. Keep things on the DL with an off-duty sweatshirt, a street-inspired beanie and combat boots, or take things up a notch with a mock-neck crop top for some major voom.
4. Urban Outfitters Corduroy Baseball Hat ($29): Brace yourself — dad caps are back for your sartorial delight (or dismay). If it helps, we’ve uncovered one that’s covered in pink corduroy, so you can channel your inner girly girl while embracing your tomboy sensibilities at the same time. Throw a street-inspired puffer jacket and some high-performance leggings into the equation for a casual-cool getup that slays on and off the streets. You’re welcome.
5. Vero Moda Tall Corduroy High Neck Bodycon Dress ($40): A new going-out dress will be in order once your iCal starts filling up with holiday fêtes and functions. Keep a case of the outfit blahs away with this black bodycon corduroy dress featuring a high neckline that fits the bill for post-work drinks, a GNO and a black tie dinner. Edge it up with a leather moto jacket and lace-up ghillies, or accessorize with some chandelier earrings for an ultra-glam look.
6. Nasty Gal Kick Some Buttons Corduroy Top ($48) + Corduroy Skirt ($58): Same old LBD? Not on our watch. Bring sexy back with this playful corduroy co-ord (try saying that three times fast!) that flaunts both a sultry off-the-shoulder neckline and button-front style. Wear it alongside a hands-free crossbody bag for a bachelorette party or any number of date night functions.
7. Otto d’ame Mandarino Corduroy Dress ($156): This just in: You will fall head over heels for this navy corduroy dress with major layering potential. Be it a cozy date night with your boo (think: a homemade dinner at his place) or a post-work networking function, this polished frock can be tossed on over a turtleneck sweater and teamed with Chelsea boots for a look that works its magic around the clock.
8. Forever 21 Corduroy Overall Skirt ($20): A corduroy skirt that can be styled a million and one ways? Count us in. With removable crisscross straps, this hero piece can be styled like a schoolgirl-inspired pinafore dress or worn as your traditional button-front mini. Either way, suede ankle booties and marled socks are required.
9. American Apparel Bessette Jacket ($95): What’s not to love about this corduroy flight jacket with retro appeal? It’s naturally super soft and huggable, AKA you’ll never want to take it off. Pair with a matching button-front corduroy skirt or toss it on with dark-wash flares for a ‘70s-inspired look. You already know chunky clogs are obligatory.
10. Forever 21 Padded Corduroy Jacket ($35): More cool-girl, less lumberjack-inspired, this black corduroy jacket with a fleece-lined collar will go hand-in-hand with your collection of cozy flannels and fisherman sweaters. Come after-hours, don’t hesitate to take it there with a come-hither lace-up top and vintage mom jeans. The result will be totally fierce, especially once you accessorize with a ‘90s-esque velvet choker.
11. BDG Sybale Corduroy Mini Skirt ($49): The Instababes have spoken, and this corduroy tile-print mini is the hero piece you need to add to your fall capsule wardrobe STAT. You don’t have to tell us twice. It plays well with a leather moto jacket and tough-girl combat boots, but don’t be mistaken — it can just as easily be dressed up with a bow-neck blouse and OTK boots for hostessing duties.
12. CAMP Collection Picture Day Corduroy Overalls ($98): Comfortable doesn’t have to mean sloppy, people! These brown corduroy overalls are infinitely more chic than any denim bibs we’ve ever laid eyes upon, and for good reason. The luxe material, teamed with a streamlined fit, makes them fair game for all your upcoming fall shenanigans. Layer it over a vintage band tee or a logo sweatshirt for endless lazy-girl vibes.
13. J.Crew Mini Skirt in Corduroy ($70): For the ultimate fall uniform, don’t hesitate to pair this mahogany-hued corduroy skirt with a black and white striped turtleneck (or a crisp button-down if you’re holding it down in the office), riding boots and a heritage blazer. Throw in a free-wheelin’ crossbody bag for a weekend-ready uniform.
14. Novesta Star Master Corduroy ($68): Let it be known: Corduroy sneakers do exist. If you ask us, it’s about time you put the Stan Smiths down anyway (at least temporarily). Between the cap-toe style and chunky soles, we’re pretty sure these casual sneaks were made for racking up the steps on your Fitbit.
15. Free People Harley Embroidered Corduroy Shirt ($128): When Southwestern meets ultra-femme, this floral embroidered corduroy button-down is the way chic result. You can toss it on with cropped denim flares and cowgirl boots or style it for the boardroom with black culottes and a chic scarf knotted around your neck.
16. ModCloth Show You Flare Pants in Cinnamon ($75): You ‘70s babe, you. You’ve got the platform steppers and a bell-sleeve blouse — now all that’s missing is the perfect pair of flared cords. Found ‘em. Since you were obvs born in the wrong decade, it would only seem fitting to round out your contemporary wardrobe with some throwback bell bottoms. (Take note: These were made to fit and flatter in all the right places.) Marcia Brady would be so proud.
17. 7 for All Mankind Mid-Rise Ankle Skinny Cords ($199): Can you say holi-daze? These autumnal-printed skinny cords will be in heavy rotation starting NOW. Be forewarned: You will have a ridiculous urge to reach for your prized lace-up flats and a billowy blouse for an ultra-sophisticated getup.
18. Native Youth Isobar Dress ($90): Introducing the non-fussy one-and-done navy corduroy shift dress that can be styled with seconds to spare. Seriously, just slip this bad boy on and go for instant style on the fly. Team it with a timeless car coat, some dainty necklaces and suede ankle booties for a night out on the town or even Thanksgiving dinner with your S.O.’s parents.
19. Abercrombie Super Skinny Corduroy Pants ($68): Get a head start on embracing the whole winter whites trend with these cream-colored skinny corduroy pants that promise to maximize your wardrobe options this season. The frayed hem makes them fair game for anything from a trip to the pumpkin patch to a Sunday spent running errands. Toss them on with some trainers, a laid back-chic cashmere sweater and a waxed field jacket for unparalleled swagger.
Will you be test-driving corduroy this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful outfit inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.