Getting that perfect curl is a near-impossible task, and that goes for straight-haired, wavy-haired and curly-haired gals alike. We’re all on an endless quest for curly hair advice that will help us pull it off without waking up at the crack of dawn or spending hours at the salon. But more often than not, we end up with limp, lackluster curls or — even worse — a frizz-tastic disaster of a ‘do. Enter these 13 curly hair hacks that get the job done. From techniques like twisting to heating to need-to-DIY hairstyles like pretty yet sporty braids, we’ve got all the hacks that’ll leave your curls looking gorgeous.
2. Boxer Braids: Curl your hair while you sleep? It can be done. While boxer braids are a statement style in themselves, these sporty braids will reveal the perfect waves in the morning when they’re taken out. (via @andressaagusmao)
3. Overnight Paper Rolls: Who knew paper towels were the secret to perfect curls? Roll up sections of damp hair into paper towels and drift off to dreamland. When you wake up, you’ll reveal some ultra bouncy curls. (via Refinery 29)
4. Air Dry Curls: Heated styles can do long-term damage to your hair, so it’s best to skip these tools whenever possible. Mix things up, and keep your hair happy and healthy with these natural-looking, air-dried curls. It’s as simple as doing the twist! (via DesignLoveFest)
5. Side Braid: Embrace the bounce — and those drool-worthy natural curls — with a 3D side braid. This look gives your naturally textured locks some extra dimension thanks to that dramatic side part. (via Brit + Co)
6. Flowing Waves: Simmer down those springy curls with (shocker!) a curling iron. For a look on the softer side, use a half-inch iron and re-work all of your naturally curled tresses for a more manageable look. Did we mention this style can last a whole week? (via Refinery 29)
7. Short Hair Curls: Short-haired girls, this one’s for you! While it may seem nearly impossible to get curly waves with your regular old curling iron, a smaller barrel (think: ¾ inch) can put an extra bounce into your cropped ‘do, giving you a new look to add to your repertoire. (via Brit + Co)
8. Wand Curl: Okay, so everyone already knows a wand is the go-to method of getting curls ASAP, but here’s the trick: air drying it before! By letting your hair air dry, you’re preserving the natural texture of your hair (instead of blow drying it stick-straight), giving your curls some extra love from root to shaft. (via The Beauty Department)
9. Pineappling: Going for that just-rolled-out-of-bed look without the frizz and tangles? For naturally curly and wavy-haired girls, pineappling is the perfect overnight method for keeping your spiraled style intact. (via Brit + Co)
11. Plopping: Who knew a t-shirt would be the key to a flawless ‘do? Thanks to Naturally Curly Hair, we’ve discovered the key to quick and easy curls without the frizz is a simple cotton shirt. (via @bakeybeauty)
13. 3-Step Bun: Finally, a bun that doesn’t hide your curls, but shows them off instead. This simple three-step bun flaunts your ringlets in a figure eight style highlighted by some stretchy fabric — a look that’s perfect for a day in the office or a night out on the town. (via Brit + Co)
Which one of these hair hacks are you interested in trying? Follow us on Pinterest for more genius hair hacks and inspo.