Even if you can’t make it to New Orleans for a classic Carnival celebration, that doesn’t mean you should forgo the fun. Bring the party home on Fat Tuesday with these 22 decadent sweet and savory eats. Let’s just say there’s nothing light about these delightful recipes, but there’s nothing wrong with indulging on the ULTIMATE cheat day, right? Of course, if you’re looking for healthy hacks we sure do have you covered elsewhere!
1. Classic Fried Italian Pizza: Rounds of dough are first fried in hot oil until puffy before getting slathered with sauce and cheese. All of that is followed by a blitz in a hot oven until the whole shebang is bubbly, melty and downright irresistible. As if pizza wasn’t awesome enough already… (via Half Baked Harvest)
2. Spicy Sofritas Veggie Bowls (Vegetarian): Smothered in smokey chipotle sauce, tofu is transformed into a crave-worthy meat replacement for your next burrito bowl. Our forks are ready to dig right in. (via Pinch of Yum)
3. Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup: Loaded with cream, cheese and all of the usual baked potato toppings, a bowlful of this soup is sure to take the chill right out of your bones. Enjoy it beyond Fat Tuesday as part of your next snow day or après ski menu. (via Malibu Kitchen)
6. Big Popper Hot Buffalo Chicken Bacon Grilled Cheese: When jalapeño poppers, crispy buffalo strips, bacon and grilled cheese combine, you know it’s gotta be good. (via Half Baked Harvest)
7. Black and Blue Mac and Cheese: Guinness (or your fave dark brew), cheddar and blue cheese team up to create a rich, velvety sauce for this homemade mac and cheese. Don’t be surprised if it makes an encore appearance on St. Patrick’s Day. (via Life as a Strawberry)
8. Muffaletta Sandwich: When it comes to sandwiches, if you love a one-to-one ratio of cold cuts and cheese to bread, the muffaletta has your name written all over it. Even better, it’s a terrific make-ahead meal — the longer it sits soaking up all the flavors of tapenade and salami, the better it gets. (via HonestlyYUM)
9. Maple-Brined Smoked Fried Chicken: Brined, smoked and then fried? A whole lot of love goes into each piece of this juicy chicken. Serve it up à la carte or atop a savory waffle. (via Chocolate and Marrow)
11. Big Easy Eggs Benedict: You don’t need to fuss with making hollandaise for this eggs Benny. Instead, an easy remoulade spiked with Cajun seasoning and hot sauce is spooned over the stack of crab cakes, fried green tomatoes and a runny-yolk egg. (via Amy in the Kitchen)
14. King Cake Fries: Cinnamon-sugar sweet potato fries make for a delightful dessert when drizzled with brown butter cream cheese glaze and praline sauce. Chopped pecans and a generous shake of colorful sprinkles finish things off quite nicely. (via Glazed and Confused)
15. Bourbon and Butterscotch Pudding With Assorted Toppings: These grown-up pudding cups topped with a plume of whipped cream, crumbled bacon and graham crackers definitely deserve an invite to your Fat Tuesday celebration. (via Chocolate and Marrow)
16. Momofuku Milk Bar Chocolate Chip Cake: This Momofuku original features four alternating homemade elements layered sky-high, so you’ll want to start making all the pieces several days ahead of time. Trust that your effort will be rewarded BIG time. (via Hummingbird High)
17. Fritos No-Bake Bars With Bacon and Red Pepper Flakes: So wrong, yet so right. These sweet, salty and ever-so-slightly spicy no-bake bars are chock-full of peanut butter, caramel and bacon action. (via Jule’s Food…)
19. Peanut Butter Chocolate Tart (Gluten-Free, Vegan): Creamy peanut butter filling and a thick layer of dark chocolate and coconut milk ganache are a delightful combo, as always, atop a nutty, almond flour crust. (via From Jessica’s Kitchen)
21. Salted Caramel Croquembouche Cake: You could stop at just the salted caramel mud cake or choux pastry topper for a celebration-worthy dessert. But when combined, they are sure to elicit many more oohs and ahhs from anyone who catches a glimpse. (via Butter and Brioche)
Which of these decadent recipes is worth a splurge? Share your faves, along with any indulgent creations you’ve come up with below!