You don’t have to be Martha Stewart to throw a classy dinner party or get-together. All you need are some good friends, good food (like these healthy grilled fish recipes) and great ambience. Which means it’s time to make an upgrade from the housewares you’ve kept since freshman year. Don’t worry, you don’t have to spend a ton of money to be the hostess with the mostess. Take the DIY route and make your own entertaining essentials to transform your shindig from eek.
1. Wooden Cheese Board: When it comes to food, presentation counts. That’s why nothing goes better with fancy cheeses than a fancy cheese board. DIY your own with this cheese board kit created in partnership with Grace Bonney, the founder of Design*Sponge (swoon!). It comes with everything you need to customize a one-of-a-kind wood-burnt serving board. (via Brit + Co)
2. Menu: Take your party to the next level with an elegant dinner menu. Not only will your guests feel like they’re in a five-star restaurant, they’ll get to take home a fun souvenir. (via Grey Likes Weddings)
4. Cocktail Set: Let your guests mix and drink their beverages in style. Personalize your own sophisticated drinkware with this engraved tumbler kit (ideal for making mint juleps or any other tasty cocktail). (via Brit + Co)
6. Mood lighting: Don’t underestimate the power of lighting, especially candles. A few strategically placed votives can help your home go from drab to fab. There are tons of tutorials to help make stylish candles at home or buy this color-block candle kit, which includes everything you need. (via Brit + Co)
9. Cute Coasters: Dress up boring old coasters and turn them into mini works of art. Chances are you’ll never see a water ring again. Get fancy with this flower coaster kit or agate slice kit. (via Brit + Co).
Throwing a dinner party? Show us your fancy spread! Tag us on Instagram + use the hashtag #iamcreative!