With graduation only weeks away, you’re probably scouring the corners of Pinterest and the like for grad gifts that are both creative AND meaningful. The unique-gift-giver struggle is real, y’all. To take your gift to the next level, try DIYing something that is way better (and more personal!) than any plain old card and cash gift. Besides, your new grad deserves a graduation gift as unique and adventurous as them, right? Featuring goodies like a leather stamped keychain and a DIY no-sew tablet case, these DIY graduation gift ideas are chock-full of all things practical and stylish for whatever the “real world” throws their way.
1. DIY Faux Macaron Photo Holders: Make those captured moments a little sweeter with faux macaron photo holders. Use an array of colored polymer clay to create a similar rainbow of photo holders, or stick to just a few hues for some color-block action. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
4. DIY “Sail Away” Travel Pouch: It might not be the cruise they wished for, but this super-stylish cruise-inspired pouch is the next best thing. Plus, if they do have future adventures planned, this travel-friendly pouch is the perfect one to take on their next trip. (via Lovely Indeed)
5. DIY Color Dipped Letter Keychain: Personalize your friend’s grad gift with a monogram leather keychain. Just add a little color using acrylic leather paint. To create the color-dipped effect, tape off a diagonal strip with washi tape. (via Damask Love)
6. DIY Brass Earring Pyramid: If your friend is no stranger to clutter, this gift idea might just be the best thing to have ever happened to her. It’ll bring some much-needed organization to her space. While it might look intimidating to make, it’s actually super simple! (via A Beautiful Mess)
7. DIY Laser-Cut Pendant Necklace: Bright and bold, these laser-cut necklaces are a colorful way to instantly upgrade any of your friend’s outfits. They’re great for layering with other dainty gold pieces or as a stand-alone piece. Get started by picking up a laser-cut pendant necklace kit! (via Brit + Co)
8. DIY Leather-Stamped Keychains: Your friend won’t ever lose their keys again with a cute tasseled leather-stamped keychain like this one. Once you get the steps down, it’ll be a super simple gift idea to repeat for everyone in your crew! (via Brit + Co)
9. DIY Beaded Bracelets: Create two unique takes on the classic beaded friendship bracelet using either paracord + artistic wire or embroidery floss + artistic wire. Design your own looks by adding various colored seed beads. Modern friendship bracelets have never looked this good. (via Brit + Co)
10. DIY Floral Patterned Notebooks: These pretty black-and-white floral patterned notebooks make great personal journals, work planners or school notebooks, no matter what your friend has got going on in her future plans. To make, you’ll need Silhouette Studio (there is a free version available) and mini Moleskine notebooks. (via Maritza Lisa)
11. DIY Origami Money Graduation Caps: Money is always a safe bet when it comes to the perfect graduation gift. Throw in a couple origami money graduation caps along with the money confetti poppers and you’ve really got a party. (via Sugar and Charm)
12. DIY Painted Clutch: Dress up a basic leather clutch or purse with paint markers. Whether you choose to go for a polka dot pattern or a calligraphic phrase, the possibilities are endless! Pro tip: Practice your lettering/drawing and get your placement down by first practicing on a sheet of paper the same size as the item you’re lettering. (via Paper & Stitch)
13. DIY No-Sew Tablet Case: Don’t let your friend scratch up their tablet in their bag any longer. Believe it or not, this super handy tablet case can be made in 10 minutes or less. Choose their favorite color or a fun print that’s totally them, use iron-on hemming tape and fasten using snap buttons and pliers. (via Brit + Co)
14. Adventure Awaits Cut File: Use permanent vinyl to decorate a plain mug or heat transfer vinyl to personalize a tote bag. Whatever you decide, your friend will love the handmade travel-themed gift. (via Dawn Nicole Designs)
15. DIY Marbled Notebook: This marbled notebook DIY is a must-have for the stylish modernista in your life. The marble print is both minimalistic and glam, making it a versatile gift that they can take to their new job or leave at home for their journal sessions. (via Brit + Co)
16. DIY Typographical Wall Art: Give your friend a little something to make their dorm room or first apartment feel a bit homier. Choose an inspirational message and they’ll have a smile on their face every time they take a look. (via Brit + Co)
18. Oh the Places You’ll Go Printable: Surprise your wanderlust-stricken graduate with this travel-friendly print. Though this one’s technically a printable, it’s up to you how you’ll frame it. Visit your local thrift store for a neat, vintage frame or decorate a plain one from your local craft store. (via Eighteen 25)
19. RetroViewer Set ($30): You can share hilarious and touching moments by building a reel of images on your computer or even directly in Instagram. Customize the reel and viewer to best capture your friend’s personality, and choose to add 3D text or captions to each image.
20. DIY Splatter Paint Vases/Votives: You don’t need much to master this easy DIY. If you can splatter paint, you’ve basically got this DIY down. Decide on how many colors you want to use, dip your paint brushes into the acrylic paints and then splatter away! (via The Sassy Life)
21. DIY Stamped Gold Bar Necklace: This stamped gold bar necklace makes a great personalized gift for your minimalist friend. Make two and stamp both of your first initials for a super sweet and unique pair of bestie necklaces. (via Brit + Co)
22. Tinybook ($15, Set of 3): Put a fun spin on the traditional photo album by making a teeny tiny one for each of your friends. Not only will it be an adorable gift idea, but each Tinybook holds 24 photos, which means it’ll be stuffed with amazing memories they can look through for years to come.
23. DIY Painted Globe: Transform an old globe (check your local thrift store, flea market or Ebay) into a modern + motivational decor must-have with some paint. Just be sure to outline the continents in black sharpie before you start — it’ll emphasize the edges, which will make it easier to see where to paint. (via Simply Darrling)
24. DIY Wooden Wall Clocks: Whether your friend is moving into a new dorm or apartment, this DIY wall clock is a thoughtful gift to help them make their new space feel a bit more like home. Choose their fave color (or color combo) to make it totally them. (via Brit + Co)
25. Wine Charms Printable: If rosé is the quickest way to your friend’s heart, these wine charms are the DIYs to make for them. Using Shrinky Dinks paper, print out the fresh fruit wine charms, and then loop wire hoop earrings through. Pair with a bottle of wine for the ultimate gift. (via Twine & Table)
26. DIY Typography Vase: Inspired by the OK vase from Oh Joy! for Target line, this bold and colorful typography vase is a fun way to brighten up your friend’s space. Go for a celebratory “YAY,” or come up with your own word that best describes your friend. Think: “CRAY,” “LOL,” “BFF,” etc. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
Which of these DIYs will you be making for your friend? Follow us on Pinterest for more graduation ideas and inspo!