Creating chic Halloween decor that’s both spooky and stylish takes some planning, and fortunately, Crate and Barrel’s Halloween section is full of *must-have* accessories that are the perfect inspo for a creative upgrade or a total DIY hack. Obviously, you have to have a few holiday favorites like no-carve pumpkins, black cats and ghostly spirits, but if you’re a discerning decorator looking for a sleek and modern aesthetic, take a cue from Crate and Barrel’s decor to bring your home to a spooktacular level of chic. Whether it’s adding luminaries to your porch or bringing some creepy crawlies to your table setting, these 12 Halloween decor hacks will easily (and inexpensively) turn your home into a glam spook-fest.
1. DIY Paper Lanterns: Halloween is *all* about the lighting, whether it be spooky or chic AF. Copy Crate and Barrel’s Boo Halloween Luminary ($15) with these sleek paper cutout luminaries. Once you’ve cut out these scary but oh, so pretty silhouettes, you can use these lanterns to decorate your mantel, dinner table or book shelf. Just remember to use battery-powered candles! (via Lia Griffith)
2. DIY Color-Blocked Pumpkin Candy Dish: If you’re looking for an alternative color scheme this Halloween, transform traditional orange pumpkins into glam pastel candy dishes. Use Crate and Barrel’s Pumpkin Serving Bowls ($7+) for this project, or head to the dollar store and find an even less expensive option. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
3. DIY Fast and Festive Pumpkin Votives: Good things come in small packages, or in this case, miniature pumpkins. ‘Tis the season for well-lit dinner parties, and while Crate and Barrel’s Pumpkin Candles ($17, set of three) are the perfect way to keep the theme going, the DIY version is a brilliant way to take your table centerpiece to the next level. Carve tea-light-sized holes in real or fake pumpkins and paint them your favorite fall shades. (via Francois et Moi)
4. DIY Cat String Lights: Take your love of everything feline-themed right to the ceiling. Make a copy of Crate and Barrel’s Halloween Cat String Lights ($35) with black construction paper and LED string lights. These meow-tastic twinklers come together really quickly, so you’ll have plenty of time to DIY a totally gorg mantel to go with your new kitty garland. (via Nostalgiecat)
5. DIY Paper Craft Haunted House: Nothing perks up your mantel or coffee table like an entire haunted village. And while Crate and Barrel’s Halloween Haunted Graveyard ($25) is very stylish, the DIY version gets extra points for being handmade, 3D and ghost-ridden. Instead of shelling out on a whole slew of paper cutouts, easily DIY your own with this adorable printable version. (via Lia Griffith)
6. DIY Spooky Halloween Wreath: The coolest thing about the Crate and Barrel’s Black Branch Wreath ($50) is that you can leave it as-is or add a few bats and spiders for extra spookiness. Fortunately, the wreath is *v* easy to recreate with a quick trip outside or to the dollar store for branches. Grab a can of black spray paint and personalize your own minimalist black branch wreath in no time. (via Earnest Home Co.)
7. DIY Spooky Crystal Ball Halloween Candlesticks: Nobody ever said art has to be in a frame. Dress up black candlesticks like Crate and Barrel’s Emmett Bronze Taper Candle Holders ($19+) with clear Christmas balls and printable vintage creatures. These floating creepy crawlies are the perfect addition to a Halloween mantel or table centerpiece. (via Flamingo Toes)
8. DIY No-Sew Halloween Table Runner: Bring an inexpensive table runner to Crate and Barrel’s level with this easy hack. Get inspired by their Halloween Pumpkins Felt Table Runner ($17) to create the perfect table setting with this simple sewing project. Hang tiny black spiders at different levels along the edge to create maximum spookiness. (via Make It & Love It)
9. DIY Halloween Silhouette Plates: Combine your love of dessert and ghoulish Victorian art into these chic dishes to make an easy hack of Crate and Barrel’s Halloween Black Cat Melamine Dinner Plate ($6). Melding the ever-popular vintage prints with a glam black and white color scheme might just be the *coolest* way to bring Halloween to the table. (via Boxwood Avenue)
10. DIY Halloween Gumball Letters: Get in the season’s spirit with a colorful and modern typography piece that stylishly mimics Crate and Barrel’s Halloween BOO Letters ($35). The addition of gumballs makes this DIY extra playful — arrange the letters on your mantel or set them up on your bookshelf for a seasonal #shelfie. (via Sister’s Suitcase)
11. DIY Spiderweb Doormat: Once you’ve covered the inside of your house with Halloween decor, it’s time to turn your attention to the porch. Hack Crate and Barrel’s Haunted House Halloween Coir Doormat ($30) with just a few craft supplies. The spider-web shape is the perfect-sized decoration for even the smallest of entryways. (via Delia Creates)
12. DIY Mummy Pillow: Even if you’re not a sewing expert, you can hack Crate and Barrel’s Haunted House Halloween Pillow ($40) with this adorable DIY mummy pillow. For this no-sew project, all you need is a set of felt googly eyes and a roll of cheesecloth. It’s such a fun project that you might just find yourself mummifying every pillow on your couch. (via Eighteen 25)
Which is your favorite DIY Crate and Barrel project? Follow us on Pinterest for more rad Halloween decor ideas and DIY inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.