If the thought of making your own lip balm at home seems daunting, let us break it down for you: you just need one jar. That’s right—only one glass jar and a lid to hack your way to DIY lip balm bliss. Did you ever think it would be so simple?
Even the rest of the materials and tools you need to make the lip smoothing serum, like beeswax, sweet almond oil, and flavor oils like refreshing spearmint, are just a click away—you can get our DIY Lip Balm Kit right here for just $19.99. Grab it now—since you’re puckering up for Valentine’s Day, we bet your lips could use some moisturizing TLC the day after tomorrow ;)
Ingredients (or buy everything you need here):
– flavoring oils (we used spearmint and champagne flavors)
– shea butter
– white beeswax pellets
– sweet almond oil
– glass jar + lid
– stirring stick
– lip balm pots
– 1 teaspoon measuring spoon (FYI these will get covered in wax)
1. Before you begin, wash and dry the small glass jar, lid, and lip balm pots.
2. Fill the saucepan with an inch of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium.
3. Combine 4 teaspoons beeswax, 2 teaspoons shea butter, and 3 teaspoons sweet almond oil in the glass jar. Place the jar in the saucepan and stir the mixture until it has melted.
4. Turn off the heat and add in 1/4 teaspoon of your flavor oil. If you want to make two different kinds of lip balm, split the mixture in half and add 1/8 of flavor oil into each pot.
5. Put the lid on the jar and shake!
6. Pour the melted lip balm into the lip balm pots. Let the lip balms sit for 20 minutes to harden.
7. Put these in your purse, set them on your bed-side table, or give them as gifts!
Start by adding your beeswax, shea butter, and sweet almond oil to your glass jar (now 101 ways to repurpose a mason jar, anyone?), add it to your pan of simmering water, and stir to combine. You can tell that you’re ready to move on to the next step when the three ingredients have melted into one white mixture.
Now for the fun part: customizing your lip balm! Here, we’re adding spearmint oil to boost our balm—not only does it give off an invigorating scent, but when added into the mix, it helps to freshen your breath every time you apply. Score! You of course can add any flavor oil you like, or even get wild sprinkle in some glitter to seriously amp it up! We’re sticking with basics today, so once the oil is in, twist on your lid tightly and shake it (like a Polaroid picture). Then, pour into your lip balm containers and wait for it to harden, about 20 minutes.
Fast forward, and check it out! You just hacked your way to making homemade lip balm. You could just leave it at that (cue mic drop), but you know we can’t stand the site of an unadorned container. So of course, our friend washi tape to the rescue!
See? So much better! Now pack it up (in your sparkly gold Baggu, of course) and take it for a test drive. Silky smooth lips, here we come.
What flavor of DIY lip balm would you make? Have you made other DIY beauty products in the past? Which recipes were stand outs? Tell us in the comments below.