New Year’s Eve wouldn’t be New Year’s Eve without party dresses, amazing bold makeup, bubbly punch and of course DIY glitter decor. That’s why we’re going to show you how to make a simple glitter and confetti bag to give your guests as a dinner favor. After all, there’s no better way to ring in the new year than by tossing some confetti in the air when the clock strikes midnight. So let’s start toasting… ahem, making.
Materials and tools:
– gold ribbon
– fabric scrap
– matching thread
– tailor’s chalk
– A6 notebook (or anything rectangular to use as a template)
– A4 piece of paper
– gold Sharpie
– super glue
– sewing machine
1. Fold your fabric scrap in half and be sure that the wrong side (the side without the pattern) is facing you.
2. Use your notebook to outline it with the tailor’s chalk.
3. Pin the fabric, then cut your rectangle, leaving an extra inch for the hem.
4. Take one of your rectangles, and with the wrong side of the fabric facing you, fold the top of the short edge over about one inch.
5. Pin it in place and sew. Then repeat this step with the other piece of fabric.
6. Pin the two rectangles together and sew along the line you traced with the tailor’s chalk.
7. Cut out the corners as shown in the picture below, then thread the ribbon through the fold, starting on the right, until it comes out on the left side. Then turn it around and file it through the other side. Tie a knot.
8. Turn your confetti bag right side out.
9. Draw a rectangle on a piece of paper then fill it in with your Sharpie. If you have gold paper, you can use that instead.
10. Write or print a quote on the gold paper, then cut it out in a banner shape.
11. Glue the banner onto the confetti bag.
12. Put glitter and confetti inside the bag!
First, fold your fabric scrap in half and be sure that the wrong side (the side that you don’t want to show) is facing you. I chose a striped fabric, but you can definitely go with any kind of pattern you like! Next, use your tailor’s chalk to trace the outline of the notebook to get a perfect shape. Pin the fabric, then cut it out leaving an extra inch for the hem. You should now have two identical rectangles. At this point, take one of your rectangles, and with the wrong side of the fabric facing you, fold the top of the short edge over about one inch. Pin it in place and sew. Then repeat this step with the other piece of fabric. Now pin the two rectangles together and sew along the the line you traced with the tailor’s chalk. Your bag is almost ready!
Cut out the corners without cutting through the stitches as shown in the picture above, then thread the ribbon through the fold. Start on the right side of the top piece and thread it toward the left until the ribbon comes out. Then thread it through the back piece, starting at the left side and ending on the right side, and tie a tiny knot. At this point, turn your confetti bag right side out and you’re ready for the final touches. Draw a rectangle on a piece of paper, then fill it with your gold Sharpie. Write or print a quote on the gold rectangle. We decided to write “Happy New Year” but you could also try “Celebrate,” “Welcome 2016” or “Wish you a sparkling year.” Then cut the paper into a banner shape. Finally, use the super glue to adhere the banner to the confetti bag and add glitter and confetti.
Be sure to have your bag in hand when the countdown begins!
Share photos of your party when the clock strikes 12:00 on Instagram using the hashtag #iamcreative.