If there’s anything we’ve learned from keeping up with the latest style trends spotted at Coachella, it’s that we should keep a special spot in our closet for old clothes and accessories because they will be stylish again at some point in our lives. Maxi dresses, bell and exaggerated sleeves and off-the-shoulder tops and dresses — we’re talking about YOU. Speaking of the latter, there’s something so romantic yet sexy about showing a part of the body that’s usually covered up, like your shoulders. So today we’re here to show you the easiest way to create a brand new off-the-shoulder dress… from a men’s shirt!
– men’s shirt
– matching thread
– 40 inches elastic
– tailor’s chalk
– fabric scissors
– safety pin
– sewing machine
1. Draw a line across the front of the shirt from the left shoulder to the right one.
2. Pin the front of the shirt to the back and cut along the line.
3. Remove the pins, turn the shirt inside out and fold over the top edge enough to fit the elastic through the loop.
4. Sew to create a loop for your elastic.
5. Measure how long your elastic needs to be around your chest and arms (keeping in mind you want it to stretch), then thread it through the loop until it appears at the other end.
6. Join the starting and ending points of the elastic and sew.
7. Turn the shirt right side out, button it up and fold the sleeves.
Before you start, be sure to pick up the right shirt: It needs to be a soft fabric, not too baggy and above all, long enough to cover up your booty :) Take your shirt and draw a line across the front, pin the front to the back and cut along the line. Next, take the pins out, turn the shirt inside out and fold over the top edge to create a loop. Then sew using your sewing machine and a medium stitch.
Measure how long your elastic needs to be, then take something like a safety pin or a bobby pin and attach it to the elastic. Thread it through the loop until the elastic appears at the other end. Then join the starting and ending points of the elastic and sew using a zig zag stitch. Lastly, turn the shirt right side out, button it up and fold the sleeves. Voilà, you’re good to go!
Feeling some spring + summer vibes with this dress on!
Are you into the off-the-shoulders dresses trend? Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo.