So you’ve got a menu of Friends Thanksgiving recipes and all your decorations are ready. You have the perfect wine picked out, and you’re just waiting for a few stragglers to RSVP. What’s left? Your outfit, of course!
We’ve all done fancy holidays in the past, but if you’re tired of feeling stuffy (and stuffed) in your black tie attire, this is the perfect year to try something fun. This crochet turkey hat from our friends at Common Threads will be a great icebreaker for you and those plus-ones. And if your head gets a little too warm, you can always use it to dress up the table too. Who says there can only be one turkey in the house?!
This project is perfect if you’re looking to get creative this weekend. And don’t worry, if you’re a little rusty (or just starting out), make sure to check out our online crocheting class here!
MATERIALS (Available at Common Thread by DMC)
- Natura XL 92 (curry color)
- Natura XL 01 (white color)
- Crochet hook 6
- Tapestry needle size 16 or craft needle
- Polyester fiberfill stuffing
1. Use the curry-colored yarn (#92) to crochet the base hat. The finished base will be 14 rounds.
2. Make 2 turkey legs using #92 yarn. The finished legs will each be 16 rounds.
3. Fill the legs about three-quarters of the way with the fiberfill stuffing. Leave the ends open.
4. Make 2 leg bones using the white-colored yarn (#01). The finished bones will be 6 rounds.
5. Sew the finished legs onto the base hat using the craft needle and #92 yarn.
For full instructions, please download the project sheet above!
Voilà! Now you have a beautiful and fun headpiece-slash-centerpiece. Woot!
Share pics of your finished hat with us on Instagram! Tag @BritandCo and use the hashtag #iamcreative and #bcweekender.
(Photos via Common Thread by DMC)