Sure, summer isn’t over just yet, but it never hurts to start looking ahead — right? While the onset of fall might point to the end of lazy beach days and your one-piece swimsuit’s reign, it also means there’s a slew of new runway trends in its wake — and we are SO on board with that. Before you start building your arsenal of autumnal essentials, take a look through these 10 fall trends that are guaranteed to garner some serious attention this season (AKA solidify your status as a bonafide street style star).
All Velvet Everything
1. Mes Demoiselles Vincenzo Pants ($320): The fabric of the season takes on a totally new tone with a slouchy, masculine silhouette that will redefine both your on- and off-duty style. Team them with a slouchy sweater and lace-up ghillies for a reading at your favorite local cafe, or a button-down, blazer and luxe leather loafer slides for the office.
2. Daisy Street Velvet Point Heeled Ankle Boots ($54): Slinky slip dresses and bell-sleeved blouses aren’t the only way to get the velvet trend right. Slip on a pair of these pointed-toe ankle boots with a bohemian midi dress or distressed cropped denim, and prepare to send tongues wagging.
Patent Trench Coats
3. MICHAEL Michael Kors Macintosh Patent Faux-Leather Jacket ($395): You’ll be welcoming gray days with open arms when you add a raincoat that’s equal parts functional and fashionable to your fall capsule wardrobe. When it comes to rain gear, this season is all about high-shine finishes. Try a brighter-is-better approach by embracing siren-red hues, or play it cool with a classic shade of black that transcends time and trends.
4. River Island Dark Blue Denim Pinafore Dress ($70): Why should free-wheelin’ frocks have all the fun once cool weather starts to roll around? Consider this zip-front pinafore the answer to all your style needs this season. Toss it over a striped turtleneck top, then pair with platform velvet sandals and sparkly socks (because, duh) for a look that toes the line between girl next door and glamazon.
5. Jeffrey Campbell Fosse Low Disco Platform Boot ($120): Whether the dance floor or the sideline is more your scene, this season’s preferred platform boots feel like a ’70s-inspired dream. Tap into your inner dancing queen with next-level hoops, voluminous locks and a silvery bomber jacket with Studio 54 appeal.
6. Free People Stardust Choker ($38): Dainty chokers calling to mind the days of old (think: ‘90s-inspired ribbon and velvet cord styles) have had their five seconds of fame, but now it’s time to move onto bigger, bolder things. This season it’s all styles that make a statement, whether through intricate designs or show-stopping embellishments.
7. P.E Nation Lace-Up Hoodie Sweatshirt ($179): All it takes to send those cool-girl vibes into high gear this season is a laid-back separate you likely already own: a hoodie. Snuggle up in a statement-making sweat — like this lace-up number above — boyfriend jeans and ankle boots, adding in dressier accessories and a painted pout for a chic edge.
8. Dr. Martens Pascal Viper ($135): Who doesn’t love a trend that’s both practical and envelope-pushing? Hiking and combat boots have emerged as one of fall’s most sought-after shoe shapes, providing a bit of extra oomph to feminine frocks and athleisure essentials alike. Style these snakeskin stompers with a denim midi skirt, a sleeveless mock-neck top and blazer for a casual Friday look that’s ready to kick some serious butt.
9. Tibi One-Sleeve Silk Blouse ($345): Off-the-shoulder dresses and tops are making a major comeback this season, but it’s the one-sleeve silhouette that really captured our attention. The look dominated runway shows, popping up at Rodarte, Herve Leger and Self-Portrait, and it won’t be long until they take control of your favorite contemporary labels. In the meantime, try this sophisticated silk number on for size.
10. C/meo Collective Two Can Win Top ($170): Metal details have slowly been infiltrating the fashion scene, with show-stopping buckles and geometric clasps making appearances on streamlined saddlebags and classic shift dresses over the last few seasons. For fall 2016, designers took a bolder approach, incorporating silvery details in unexpected places, like along the center line of this high-neck top, and infusing everyday pieces with a touch of drama.
11. Patagonia Women’s Down Sweater Jacket ($229): This is not a drill. Puffer jackets have officially been given the runway’s seal of approval, meaning your go-to everyday jacket is now officially an #OOTD essential. Take a style note from Stella McCartney, Marc Jacobs, Sacai and more by styling a bright outer layer alongside an elevated ensemble for serious haute contrast.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.