With fall looming right around the corner, comfort food recipes will soon be filling your Pinterest feed to the brim. One ingredient that is sure to make a repeat appearance this year is creamy and delicious buttermilk.
Since buttermilk is not something that everyone has in their fridge year-round, here is a trick for the times when the recipe only calls for a little bit and you don’t want to buy an entire carton: Add 1 TBS of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk (whole or 2% preferably) to make a substitute so good you’ll never taste the difference. Keep reading for 10 sweet and savory buttermilk recipes to add to your collection.
1. Orange Cardamon Bundt Cake: The mix of cardamom and cinnamon here is the perfect companion to balance out the citrus flavor from the orange cream glaze. This one has fall written all over it. (via Mrs. B’s Kitchen)
2. Maple Glazed Buttermilk Donuts: For this easy morning breakfast, bake a batch of cakey buttermilk donuts and coat them not once, but twice, with a sweet maple glaze. Donut you just love it? ;) (via The Corner Kitchen)
3. Bacon + Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits: If there’s one thing buttermilk is notorious for, it’s making great biscuits, and this recipe is no exception. Besides being delicious, these ones are a cinch to make since there’s no rolling or biscuit-cutting involved. (via The Chunky Chef)
5. Roasted Chicken With Garlic Buttermilk Cream Sauce: When all you want is a warm, comforting meal, roasted chicken is a family favorite. The sauce in this dish pulls the whole thing together and is great for smearing on flaky biscuits too. (via Perpetually Hungry)
6. Cranberry Bliss Cake: Inspired by the Starbucks version of the same name, this dessert uses dried cranberries to add just the right amount of tart in a moist, fluffy buttermilk cake. (via Averie Cooks)
8. Double Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Muffins: These muffins pack just the right amount of chocolate flavor without leaving you feeling bloated and tired. If you have any leftover, cover each muffin with saran wrap, toss in a ziplock bag and put ’em in the freezer for a grab-and-go snack. (via The Partial Ingredients)
9. Fried Chicken and Biscuits With Sriracha Lime Mayo: The list of ingredients may seem intimidating, but the end result is the epitome of sweet and savory (with a hint of heat). This one is sure to silence all your cravings. (via Cravings in Amsterdam)
10. Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake: Here’s a truly versatile cake you can eat for breakfast, dessert or as an afternoon hooray-the-kids-are-napping treat. Be sure to dust with powdered sugar before serving. (via Alexandra’s Kitchen)
Which recipe are you going to try first? We’d love to hear about your experience!