Nippy temps, extra-cozy layers and must-have toppers go hand-in-hand during a season dominated by fall traditions and pumpkin-spice everything. As the remaining summer days fade away and the arrival of October ushers in #sweaterweather, some transitional layers will be in order. Think: a field jacket for a tailgate at your alma mater, a duster coat for the nine-to-five grind and a trusty wool jacket in a punchy hue for when the temperatures dip low. Thankfully, you don’t have to spend a fortune this season to look like a bonafide street starlet. Scroll down for 32 must-have jackets and coats for fall you can snag for $150 or less. Cue the happy dance as you stock your fall capsule wardrobe with all the cold-weather staples you’ll need to keep the outfit blahs at bay. You’re welcome.
1. Front Row Shop Pink V-Neck Overcoat ($102): Not having at least one pink coat on standby should be a crime. Pull this sassy number out for a mundane Monday or Sunday brunch with the girls. Proceed to embrace Jenna Lyons-inspired styling by tossing it on alongside a cable-knit sweater, a chambray shirt, printed brocade trousers and chunky block heels. The side slits and v-neck style make this pretty-in-pink statement piece one to watch.
2. Mango Wool-Blend Coat ($130): Who needs a cerulean sweater when you can rock a wool-blend coat with this much look-at-me appeal? Between the eye-catching hue and oversized pockets, this stunner will never steer you wrong. Faux-fur steppers and a fluorescent camera bag not required, but definitely art director-approved.
3. ASOS Cropped Bomber With Badges in Jersey ($46): Take it to the streets with this sporty varsity-striped bomber that would do Gigi Hadid proud. While the badges bring a youthful twist, it’s the cropped fit that will have you coveting a mock-neck top and some white tennies. Chic for the weekend has never looked so good.
4. Zara Oversized Parka ($100): Don’t back down now: If you’ve got something to say, you might as well let your off-the-clock parka do the talking. Whether you team it with embroidered jeans or go full-on glam with a sequined dress and ankle boots for a bachelorette party, there’s no question you’ll slay this fall.
5. J.Crew Excursion Vest With Corduroy Trim ($128): Let’s hear it for this timeless quilted vest (in navy, no less!) that even non-preppy girls will love. Fit to flatter, this layering staple is just the thing for chilly days when you want to stay warm, but don’t want to show up dressed like an eskimo. Between fall tailgates, Oktoberfest parties and a trip to the vineyard, it’ll come to the rescue time and time again. Don’t even get us started about that corduroy collar. Major swoon.
6. Topshop Badged Jersey Blazer ($80): Ditch the matchy-matchy power suits and blazers with padded shoulders for this menswear-inspired varsity blazer that’s corporate AF. It’s polished enough to sport to the office with an LBD, yet casual enough for grabbing drinks downtown. The collegiate-style lion badge will make for a rawr-tastic statement come happy hour.
7. TNA Borders Jacket ($95): A wear-everywhere, water-repellent puffer for dressing effortlessly on the daily? Count us in, please. No bulk, no frills — this army green jacket will never do you wrong.
8. Tobi Anabel Wool Coat ($132): Cue the comfy-cozy vibes with this contemporary camel coat that’s equal parts classic and edgy. (We’re partial to the oversized fit.) The wide black collar will straight-up stun at a black tie affair, or even just a scenic walk through Central Park to admire the fall foliage. A blanket scarf and felt fedora are non-negotiable for an Instababe-approved #OOTD.
9. Zara Checked Coat ($129): Ready or not, here comes fall weather! Don’t wait until the last minute to snag the seasonal checked coat of your dreams. News flash: It will sell out come the first sign of frigid temps. Besides, a topper this versatile is bound to pay for itself — wear it for your morning commute, a slew of holiday parties and even pumpkin picking.
10. J.Crew Polka-Dot Tulle-Trimmed Cotton-Twill Jacket ($140): This is NOT your everyday twill jacket. With a polka dot tulle hem, it’s actually 10 times more glam — AKA perfect for us girly girls with a penchant for frilly things. (But don’t be mistaken, the utilitarian style is just as versatile for off-duty babes.) For a dialed-down look worthy of a trip to the apple orchard, pair it with a fisherman sweater, skinny jeans and suede ankle booties.
11. Zara Mandarin Collar Frock Coat ($129): Prim and proper is the name of the sartorial game this season. When you just don’t feel like getting all gussied up in a floor-grazing gown (been there, done that), opt for this navy frock coat featuring a mandarin collar. The signature gold buttons will fit in at any dinner party, especially when styled with white skinny jeans and cognac riding boots for a considerably preppy look.
12. Mango Faux-Fur Collar Trench ($130): Introducing the whimsical trench that will make you *wish* for rainy days. As if the head-turning faux fur collar wasn’t enough, the cheeky ‘90s-style patches will give you a reason to chuckle on less-than-sunny days. Style it for your nine-to-five with an anything-but-blasé button-down and black culottes.
13. River Island Leopard Coat ($129): ‘Cause word on the street is that leopard pieces are having a moment and, naturally, a fierce animal print coat is obligatory. Not only does this stylish topper put the va-va in the voom, but it has the ability to turn any outfit from drab to fab. Toss a wool knit sweater and hoop earrings into the equation for a look that demands attention.
14. Mango Animal Design Coat ($150): Take a walk on the wild side with this entrance-making zebra print coat that’s safari-chic at its best. DO plan on being spotted a mile away and getting your pic snapped by admirers as you style your new hero piece with boyfriend jeans and lace-up ghillies.
15. First & I Belted Coat ($56): Minimalist enthusiasts, unite! You don’t need all the bells and whistles to make a lasting first impression this season. Meet the oversized gray topper of your dreams that will give your stay-at-home snuggie a run for its money. *Adds to cart.*
16. Madewell Catskills Jacket ($118): This just in: You will inevitably reach for this cool girl-approved military jacket on more occasions than you can count. Whether you’re just out walking your pup or heading for a glam-cation with your girls, this lightweight topper will be a godsend. For a flawless outfit formula, proceed to pair it with a plaid button-down, high-waisted jeans, duck boots and a leather tote. REPEAT.
17. H&M Long Sleeveless Coat ($129): Is it an overcoat? It is a longline vest? It’s actually both. Get the best of both worlds with this dreamy gray sleeveless coat that can be slipped on over a ribbed knit sweater and black skinnies in two seconds flat. You can transition it for the evening with chandelier earrings, an itty-bitty bucket bag and a seasonal PSL in hand.
18. Forever 21 Boxy Trench Coat ($50): Werk it with this gorgeous mauve trench coat that will accompany you to the boardroom and beyond. The boxy silhouette makes it appropriate for both day and night, but we’re partial to a Kardashian-approved bodycon dress and ankle-strap steppers.
19. ASOS Cotton Jacket With Bomber Back Detail ($121): Dial it way down with this next-level navy and red bomber that will make you look (and feel) like a total babe. Throw in a throwback cropped hoodie, a beanie and some high-top kicks for a weekend getup that would make HR cringe in disapproval. Sorry, boss.
20. MINKPINK Fine Side Sherpa Bomber Jacket ($149): Run, don’t walk, to snag this carrot-hued sherpa jacket that looks downright snuggly. Take note: This is what you wear for dinner and a movie (just toss on a fit and flare skirt) or a trip to the farmers’ market (jeans and a tee will do). Style it with trend-right accessories like a mini bucket bag and metallic loafers for a look that says trying, but not trying too hard.
21. Forever 21 Don’t Look Back Graphic Jacket ($73): It’s man-repelling statement pieces like this graphic jacket that make us want to break all the rules. Team it up with a holographic mini, retro shades and combat boots, and your message will read loud and clear.
22. Topshop Contrast Panel Duster Coat ($135): Say buh-bye to the conundrum of dressing in between seasons — this army green duster coat is just right for chilly mornings and seemingly balmy afternoons. Make a dramatic entrance by tossing this bad boy over some denim cutoffs and Chelsea boots, or style it for after-hours with a jersey midi dress and cool kicks.
23. & Other Stories Petite Velvet Jacket ($95): Now here’s an early-fall jacket that has us crushing hard. This lavish velvet topper is the secret weapon in disguise that will take every outfit from zero to 100 with minimal effort. Team it with a velvet button-front skirt or go normcore with a white tee, mom jeans and ugly-pretty glove shoes.
24. Express Black Bomber With Patches ($128): Bomber jackets? For fall? Groundbreaking. Usher in some post-festival season swagger with this lightweight bomber featuring rad patches. Day or night, it’s guaranteed to lend a tough-girl ‘tude to every getup — be it a sultry slip dress or leather joggers.
25. Mango Quilted Feather Coat ($130): You laugh now, but come Black Friday, you’ll be so happy you invested in a heavy-duty quilted coat to shield you against the elements. Sure, you may feel like you’re dressed like a marshmallow, but trust us — the result will be SO chic. That shade of red is seriously boss.
26. Zara Silver-Toned Sweatshirt-Style Jacket ($70): Blending in is overrated: Embrace a galactic vibe this season a la this fashion-forward metallic jacket with major athleisure undertones. Be it an overcast day or a post-gym outing, nothing says girl-on-the-go like a baseball cap, lace-up leggings and monochromatic kicks.
27. Forever 21 Striped Varsity Jacket ($25): Usher in some schoolgirl charm with this green and mustard striped varsity jacket that will have you embracing a Taylor Swift-inspired look circa 2012. Pair it with a crop top, some high-waisted suede shorts and Oxford flats FTW.
28. H&M Wool-Blend Coat ($129): When is red not considered chic in the outerwear department? A streamlined wool coat in #girlboss red is exactly what the doctor ordered for lazy fall mornings when you just can’t deal. Slip this streamlined topper over paperbag-waist trousers and kicky loafers for a fierce look that doesn’t mess around.
29. The Fifth Paint Palette Coat ($150): Your fall outerwear should serve two purposes: to keep you toasty and looking fly. This wine-colored topper featuring a streamlined silhouette and tie-waist requires zero effort. Seriously, nada! Team it with a laid-back-chic denim dress and sneakers on your most off-duty days, or toss it over a jumpsuit for date night.
30. Zara Metallic Leather Jacket ($149): Get ready to dial up the drama with this RiRi-approved metallic leather jacket that will make people stare for all the right reasons. Channel a rock ‘n’ roll vibe by styling it with a vintage band tee and black distressed jeans, or opt for a tie-front blouse and a twirl-worthy accordion pleat skirt to keep your ultra-femme sensibilities in check.
31. Kimchi Blue Zola Faux Fur Cropped Bomber Jacket ($139): Girl, you’re going to be so ahead of the fashion curve with your after-hours-ready faux fur jacket. This dark green boxy topper is worthy of a fall soiree involving drop-waist dresses and disco glam jumpsuits. All you’re missing is some modern-day go-go boots.
32. Mango Check Wool-Blend Coat ($80): Be still our hearts: This buffalo plaid topper is giving us ALL the heart eyes. Channel major lumberjack vibes by throwing this cold weather staple on with a turtleneck sweater, a leather mini and OTK boots for a getup that works its magic around the clock. TBH, you’ll never want to take it off.
Which of these fall coats will you be investing in this season? Follow us on Pinterest for more fall style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.