Fashion isn’t the only thing we’re borrowing from the ’70s. We’ve also been raiding the vintage hair salon archives for some cool new fall hairstyles, and there’s one that has caused some major blippage on our style radar: the shag. Now, this cut isn’t exactly the one that your mom, grandma or even dad used to rock. This look has been made modern by softening it a bit and adding color and curls, and women like Taylor Swift, Alexa Chung and Jennifer Lopez have been seen rocking the look recently. Here are 10 ladies wearing the heck out of the shag.
1. Ice Queen: We all remember when T-Swift shed her signature long blonde locks for this ice queen shag to usher in her own Good Girl, Gone (kinda) Bad era. This shorter look has a nice edgy feel to it, amplified by the sexy, sassy cut.
2. Great Lengths: This cut looks great no matter the length. The longer version featuring lots of layers gives you an easy, breezy, ’70s hippie vibe, perfect for all the fall knits, neutral colors and textured clothes.
3. That ’70s Show: Say goodbye to your mermaid ombre hair this #transformationtuesday by embracing your natural brunette hue and going for a retro change: a shaggy banged look.
4. Messy Shag: If you’re looking for a style that requires minimal morning effort (because these longer nights and shorter days are kicking our butt too), then this cut is the one for you. The messier you go, the better.
5. The Squad Cut: Taylor Swift isn’t the only member of her squad to go for the shag. Model Karlie Kloss also went for a #throwbackthursday ’70s cut, but opted for a natural-looking dye job instead.
6. Back to Black (and Lime): Complicate your short shag cut in the best way possible by adding ombre lime tips and a cool geometric undercut. Tattoos and leather jacket optional.
7. Basic Brunette: Color, highlights and balayage are fun, but this kind of layered haircut doesn’t need all those bells and whistles to rock. Let your gorgeous brunette hair shine through with a textured bob.
8. Princess Peach: The name of this shade is peach, but the color IRL is more like a beautiful rose gold that perfectly mimics autumn sunsets. These barrel curls just accentuate the beautiful hue.
9. The Alexa Cut: Alex Chung’s signature haircut, a messy lob shag, is the perfect cool-girl hair. It’s totally unfussy and laid back with baby highlights. This shoulder-grazing cut is perfect for fall, when your focus in on pumpkin spice, not your big barrel curling iron.
10. Biker Cool: Instead of looking faded, this shag-a-delic haircut looks edgy AF. It will perfectly frame your face and your cool on-trend choker, and you wont have to stress yourself over finding matching earrings — the layers pack a punch on their own.
Looking for more fall hair inspo? Follow us on Pinterest for more amazing manes!