Whether you’re a #skincareaddict or casual beauty observer, Korean beauty is very likely on your radar. Those folks know what they’re doing when it comes to their skincare routines, and their bright, perfected complexions are a walking, talking testament to that. So when a new trend comes over to our side of the world, we make sure to stop and listen. The current craze comes in the form of fermentation, a technique that’s been around for centuries. The process involves soaking food in salt water, allowing for the growth of good bacteria, which produces vitamins, probiotics and enzymes that are great for your skin. The trend is just starting to catch on over here in the States, and we’ve rounded up nine products to try if you’re looking to hop on the K-beauty bandwagon.
1. Estée Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion ($95): If the gorgeous bottle wasn’t enough of a selling point, the promised glowing complexion should be. A concentrated blend of Micro-Nutrient Bio-Ferment helps to nourish and energize your skin for a simply luminous look.
2. Oskia Renessaince Hand Cream ($32): Fermented hand cream might sound a bit crazy, but the process actually adds some serious anti-aging benefits to an area of the body that first shows signs of aging. Fermented magnesium, iron and zinc stimulate cell-renewal to keep your hands hydrated and looking young.
3. Amarte Aqua Mist Toner ($67): This Korean skincare line uses naturally fermented gingko nut extract to give your face a boost of antioxidants. The result is brighter and healthier skin all around.
4. Crème de la Mer ($170/1 oz.): This cult-favorite moisturizer has been around for years and features a “miracle broth” that apparently takes months to ferment.
5. Brad Bio-Fermented Algae Concentrate ($130): Sticker shock aside, this formula features an impressive and therapeutic blend of fermented sea minerals that heal and soothe your skin.
6. Sulwahsoo Snowise EX Brightening Mask ($130/10-pack): Sheet masks not only make for hilarious selfies, but also work as complete complexion saviors. This particular mask employs a fermented formula that instantly brightens your skin for a more luminous look.
7. Immunocologie Exfoliating Lotion ($150): We can’t help but be impressed by this innovative ingredient list, which includes 15 fermented essential nutrients. The brand as a whole offers skin care with a focus on your body’s immune system, a practice which is evidenced in the specifically chosen ingredients of their Exfoliating Lotion.
8. SK-II Facial Treatment Essence ($99/2.5 oz): Featured on just about every celebrity’s bathroom counter, this essence has earned its cult status: It gently exfoliates your complexion and moderates skin renewal so you can be left with crystal clear skin.
9. Fresh Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask ($92): Black tea ferment is the key to this advanced formula. The ingredient is a powerful antioxidant that helps to soften, smooth and promote elasticity for your face. Sign us up!
Would you try a fermented beauty product? Let us know your faves in the comments below!