Bad hair days are a total bummer and confidence killer, even when paired with an on-point outfit. If your hair is anything but on fleek these days, it might be time to switch up your haircare routine. To make the transition to stunning strands a whole lot easier, we’re sharing game-changing shampoos tailored to battle everything from limp, lifeless locks to out-of-control frizz. It’s time to banish bad hair days once and for all.
1. Lush Seanik Solid Shampoo ($12): If your hair all of a sudden feels limp, lifeless and out-of-control oily after a recent move or during a trip, it’s likely because of soft water. Soft water has a low level of calcium, magnesium and other ions, which, while better for your plumbing, isn’t necessarily awesome for hair. Strategic shampooing tactics, like washing hair twice or targeting problem areas is one way to solve the issue of oiliness, but a shampoo specifically designed for soft water situations isn’t a bad bet either. Lush’s Seanik Shampoo Bar is packed with the minerals your hair so desperately needs and will have your mane looking on top of its game in no time.
2. Bumble and bumble. Sunday Shampoo ($25): If you’re a victim of hard water, a clarifying (or chelating) shampoo is something you seriously need to work into your haircare routine. They’re specially formulated to clean up the gunk that your regular shampoo and styling products leave behind. Look for products that list EDTA as an ingredient — this is the stuff that will really make a difference. Since clarifying shampoos are meant to strip your hair of buildup, they can also dry hair out, so limit use to one time per week and follow with a super moisturizing conditioner or masque.
3. Phyto Paris Phythéol Intense Anti-Dandruff Treatment Shampoo ($24): There are tons of anti-dandruff products on the market, but despite the branding, they don’t quite live up to their claims. This shampoo, on the other hand, totally nails it. Dandruff, psoriasis, eczema, you name it — Phyto’s Phythéol Intense Anti-Dandruff Shampoo soothes dry, itchy scalps and kicks flakes to the curb, meaning you can rock that LBD with confidence.
4. Klorane Shampoo With Nettle ($20): Battling the greasies can be a serious pain, so a kick-butt shampoo is key. Citrus extracts and herbal astringents are especially effective, which makes this nettle number particularly great. Specially formulated to clean oily hair, it helps give strands a boost without weighing them down. Love the stuff, but want to cut down on washes? Klorane has a Nettle Dry Shampoo ($20) too.
5. Davine’s Love Smoothing Shampoo ($25): Coarse hair calls for a majorly moisturizing formula that helps beat frizz and brittleness for smooth, lush locks. Packed with olive extract straight from Messina, Italy, Davine’s Love Smoothing Shampoo nourishes hair with much-needed fatty acids and vitamins that will leave hair looking fly. Got curly hair? They make some crazy awesome conditioners just for spiraled strands too.
6. David Mallett Shampoo No. 1 Hydration ($45): If you’re a slave to the straightening iron, then you definitely need to show your hair a little extra love. This straight-from-France shampoo might be a bit of a splurge, but it will keep your hair looking lustrous, hydrated and incredibly fab. The brand is a fave of Natalie Portman, so you know it’s gotta be good.
7. Sachajuan Color Save Shampoo ($28): You invest big bucks in getting that color just right, so protecting it should high on your priority list. Using Ocean Silky Technology, this hue-saving shampoo keeps hair looking healthy, shiny and buildup-free without compromising your color.
8. Philip Kingsley Body Building Shampoo ($30): Kiss those limp, fine locks goodbye, because this shampoo is about to change your whole hair game. Enhanced with keratin proteins and natural cellulose, not only will it leave hair stronger, but you’ll also notice a major improvement in volume and body too.
What hair woes do you combat on the daily? What hair products do you swear by? Tell us about them in the comments!