Breton stripes are our go-to for nabbing that super on-point French girl style. They’re closet must-haves that never disappoint and always look sharp. Yet, this spring, we’re looking to mix things up stripes-wise. We know, we know — you shouldn’t mess with a classic, but trust us, these fresh takes on stripes are anything but ordinary. From bright colors to barely-there lines, here are 24 fresh ways to rock your French girl stripes in style.
Bright Bold Stripes
Trade out those navy numbers for stripes that pack a punch. Multi-colored lines are no doubt attention-grabbing, but monochromatic stripes in varied sizes are just as impactful. (Photos via Stockholm Street Style, The Zoe Report)
1. H&M Sleeveless Dress ($35): Put that basic striped dress to rest and jazz things up with a multi-hued, barcode-like print for a modern yet subtly ’60s vibe.
2. Mara Hoffman Rainbow Stripe Crop Top ($139): Embrace the rainbow. We think this topper is a must for days when you need a little extra pep in your step.
3. Vince Camuto Stripe Pleat A-Line Skirt ($129): A sunny yellow skirt is the ultimate pick-me-up for everything from a casual tee to a flirty, feminine top.
4. River Island Stripe Sleeveless Zip Neck Top ($64): Give your stripes a groovy upgrade with bold blue bars and a zip turtleneck. Pair it up with some funky flares for an on-trend, ’70s-inspired look.
5. Ann Taylor Mixed Stripe Flare Dress ($149): Statement-making stripes and an A-line silhouette strike the perfect balance between feminine and edgy.
No need to put your fave striped tee on the back burner. For a trendy new twist, style it with a linearly lined bottom. To keep things feeling classic, opt for complementary lines and colors on top and bottom. For a more fashion-forward approach, put those mixing and matching skills to work by pairing up horizontal and vertical stripes of various shapes and sizes. (Photo via Style.com)
6. ModCloth As Pier Usual Top ($50): You’ll get major mileage with this lightweight tunic top. It looks good with everything from distressed denim to a polished pencil skirt.
7. Zara Crease Striped Shorts ($50): Channeling a slight sailor vibe, these high-waisted shorts are ready to hit the seaside.
8. City Chic Striped Floral Skirt ($42): Make your mornings easier by choosing a skirt that cuts out the whole florals-or-stripes equation (yes, it happens). Besides, who doesn’t like a little 2-for-1?
9. Forever21 Striped Cami Bustier ($25): Whether you pair it up with with a striped skirt or solid, high-waisted joggers, this cami bustier will rack you up some serious style points.
11. AQ AQ Belle Mini Dress with Plunge Neck in Sheer Stripe ($68): While this dress is definitely daring — hello, plunging neckline — long sleeves keep the look feeling balanced and classy.
12. Missguided Cropped Sheer Stripe Knitted Top ($40): This cropped number has all the appeal of your classic Breton top, sans the colorful stripes.
13. Dahlia Tiffany Pink Floral and Stripe Organza Skirt ($85): Sheer organza and a floral overlay give this layered skirt a flirty, feminine feel.
14. Cameo Department Overlay Bustier ($148): This sheer-panel top is ideal for a night out, paired with a high-waisted skirt or skinny jeans and a statement collar necklace.
15. ASOS Tank in Leather in Stripe Print ($36): French-girl stripes meets fashion It Girl in this sleek leather crop top.
16. Marc by Marc Jacobs Turn Around Kim Striped Leather Shoulder Bag ($200): Wear your stripes on the side with a bold, graphic bag. It instantly adds interest to an all-black ensemble and even elevates already vibrant outfits.
Bohemian Babe Stripes
17. Free People Indigo Stripe Flares ($128): Swap out those lightly lined tops for psychedelic striped flares.
18. Silence + Noise V-Neck Striped Tee Dress ($69): Soft, oversized and totally comfy, this multi-banded frock is the ultimate in lazy-girl dressing.
19. Charlotte Russe Striped Strappy Wide Leg Jumpsuit ($30): Jumpsuits + nautical stripes = a match made in spring-wardrobe heaven.
20. Faithfull the Brand Wanderer Dress ($120): This dress is just begging for you to whisk it off to all your favorite warm-weather destinations.
Mixing seemingly clashing prints? A fashion faux pas it is not! They key to pulling off this adventurous look is to pair up prints in similar hues. (Photo via Mochaccino Land)
21. Old Navy Striped Pocket Tank ($12): A classic blue- and white-striped tank is the perfect piece to rock with both bold prints and basics.
22. Lovers and Friends Willow Pants ($40): These free-flowing floral pants would anchor a mix-and-match stripe look any day.
23. Banana Republic Floral Ponte Sweatshirt ($50): Here, dark, look-at-me florals are ideally matched with more toned-down stripes in a complementary hue.
24. Aritzia Babaton Rembert Pant ($145): Artsy stripes with a just-drawn feel give these spring-ready cropped trousers a cool, contemporary vibe.
How do you like to wear your stripes? Which of these styles are you ready to give a try? Tell us about it in the comments!