April Fools’ Day is known for being a day full of tricks and pranks that can leave you feeling a little bit defeated. You already know that you’ll want to eat your feelings at the end of the day, so be prepared with a slew of fruity desserts of the same name. Yes, we said “the same name.” A *fool* is an English dessert that’s made by folding pureed fruit into custard or whipped cream. Yep, it’s just as easy as it sounds and pretty delicious to boot. To learn more about the classic dessert, scroll down for 12 variations that’ll be a fitting addition to your April Fools’ Day.
1. Vegan Mango-Pineapple Fool: Classic fruit fool definitely isn’t vegan-friendly. To make it so, simply use whipped coconut cream and fold in your favorite stewed fruits, like this mango-pineapple variation. (via Jenni Field’s Pastry Chef Online)
2. Apricot, Orange Blossom, and White Chocolate Fool: Fresh apricots, orange blossom water, and white chocolate make this a standout fool. To add a bit of crunch, crumble on a few amoretti cookies right before serving. (via The Kiwi Cook)
3. Berry Coconut Cheesecake Fools: This lightened-up version of fool is made with coconut Greek yogurt and a touch of cream cheese to give it that cheesecake flavor. Layer with pureed raspberries and strawberries for a take on your all-time favorite dessert. (via Life Made Simple)
4. No-Cook Berry Fool: There’s no need to turn your stove on for this one. Just blitz your berries in a blender with sugar and lemon juice for the fruit layer and whip heavy cream with softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla for the cream layer. (via At the Corner of Happy and Harried)
5. Blueberry Fool: Want to turn your blueberry fool into a prank you can play on a friend? Follow the recipe perfectly but swap salt for the sugar. Just be ready with a batch of real ones for after they’re done spitting it out. (via What Should I Make For…)
6. Gooseberry Fool: This is the OG fruit fool. Gooseberries may not be as common now, but they were the original fruit that graced every fool. If you want to stay true to the classic, this is the way to go. (via Great British Chefs)
7. Lemon Ginger Fool: While you can use jarred lemon curd to make this recipe, you *need* to try it homemade. The texture will be flawless, and you’ll be thankful you took the extra step. (via The Kiwi Cook)
9. Pink Raspberry Fool: If you really want to enhance the fruit flavor in your fool, stir in a little of the berry puree into the whipped cream. PS: Everything is better when served in a Champagne flute, amirite? (via Munchkin Time)
11. Rhubarb Fool: Four ingredients are all you need to create this foolishly easy recipe. Grab a sleeve of your favorite cookies, and suddenly this fool turns into a pretty epic dessert dip. (via Earthy Delights)
12. Strawberry Lemon Fool: We pity the fool who doesn’t make this recipe. It’s easy enough to whip up before work and it’ll be ready when you come home from that stressful April Fools’ Day. (via Simply Stacie)
Follow us on Pinterest for more simple dessert ideas.