When it comes to hair care, we either go big or go to the drugstore. Sure, the salon options are awesome, but when we want to try out new products (or restock the ones we use often), we hit the convenience store. We’ve scouted out the best and brightest from the brands you shouldn’t pass by; scroll down to check them out.
1. Suave Professionals Honey Infusion Strengthening Shampoo ($3): Honey is the superstar ingredient here — not only does it give your hair a sweet smell, but it also fortifies weak strands, building them up with a moisture boost that protects follicles from damage. Use this rich blend with its conditioner counterpart, and expect to see shinier, healthier results pronto.
2. Clairol Nice ‘N Easy Root Touch-Up ($7): We know there’s nothing like a pro-color job, but when you’re looking for a quick fix, a root cover kit is your go-to. The precision brush makes it easy to target gray spots, and the permanent color formula is key to helping you eek out a few more weeks between appointments.
3. Pantene Gold Series Deep Hydrating Co-Wash ($10): If you’ve got curly, textured, or damaged hair, then you probably are familiar with the co-washing concept, i.e skipping the shampoo (which can be drying) and washing only with a conditioning cleanser for smoother, touchable locks. This formula has argan oil and panthenol to detangle and leaves hair with a soft touch and mirror shine.
4. Herbal Essences Bio-Renew Soft Control Light Hold Creme Gel ($5): This latest frizz-fighter will tame the flyaways and give your tresses the fresh scent of creamy jasmine, velvety peach, and juicy citrus between washes (rub in a drop or two after a gym sesh). Plus, the blend of bamboo, antioxidants, and aloe brings damaged, frazzled follicles back from the brink.
5. Dove Refresh + Care Detox and Purify Dry Shampoo ($5): Not all dry shampoos are created equal — some weigh strands down, while others leave behind a not-so-chic residue. This weightless formula with a fresh citrus scent absorbs oil like a boss, and even better, the white film disappears on contact, so your blowout looks salon-fresh for the next day or two.
6. Garnier Fructis With Active Fruit Protein Moisture Lock Fortifying Conditioner with Cactus Extract ($5): Your hair follicles are made up of proteins, and when your strands lose them, they get fragile and break. This conditioner — packed with active fruit proteins and B vitamins — reverses that sitch by adding back the nutrients needed to make hair strong again and keep strands soft and shiny for 48 hours.
7. L’Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare Nutrigloss 2-in-1 ($4): Glossy in-salon treatments may be your jam, but spending a lot of cash on them probably isn’t. This home treatment mimics those same pricey salon glosses with silk ingredients to give dreary tresses gorgeous shine. Swap out your daily shampoo and conditioner and wash up with this whenever you feel the need to give your mane a shiny boost.
8. Big Sexy Hair Root Pump Plus Volumizing Spray Mousse ($6): Fine hair types know that keeping a fresh blowout from falling flat during humid months is nothing short of a miracle. For the 99 percent of us who can’t pull that off, there’s help: This hair spray, which turns into a mousse when it comes into contact with your roots, will give your thin tresses a big lift and fullness that holds, even on the stickiest days.
9. Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care With Almond Oil 2-in-1 Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Plus Conditioner ($5): Battling scalp itch issues? Try this shampoo-conditioner combo. The triple action has a creamy lather for a deep clean, protects your scalp from dandruff, and moisturizes the follicle from root to tip. The sweet almond oil is extra soothing on an irritated, itchy scalp.
10. OGX Frizz Defy/Moisture + Shea Soft & Smooth Creamy Hair Butter ($6): For smooth hair, look for a conditioner that softens coarse fuzz yet doesn’t make strands greasy. This one is free of silicone (which is good news, since that ingredient will attract dirt, and makes strands look dull, dry, and limp) and has a blend of shea butter, coconut oil, and agave nectar that hydrates a dry texture and leaves hair feeling silky.
What’s your favorite drugstore hair product? Tell us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.