Netflix is gearing up for one heck of an entertainment-filled 2017, and while their promotion tactics aren’t always on the mark, there are plenty of reasons to be excited about what’s in store. From old faves getting new life to epic introductions, here are 11 Netflix shows you’ll be binge-watching in 2017.
1. One Day at a Time: Premiering January 6th and starring Rita Moreno and Justina Machado, One Day at a Time focuses on a Cuban-American family in a reimagined 1975 sitcom.
2. A Series of Unfortunate Events: Coming to Netflix January 13th, we can’t deny that we’re already totally psyched to see the new version of this classic creepy tale. Neil Patrick Harris stars as the evil Count Olaf, and every peek we’ve gotten so far has made us even giddier.
3. Frontier: If you’re a Jason Momoa fan, then you’ll definitely want to add Frontier to your viewing schedule. Having already premiered in Canada and coming to the US on January 20th, the series tells the tale of the darker side of the fur trade in the 1700s.
4. Santa Clarita Diet: When February 3rd rolls around, we’ll be all about Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant’s Santa Clarita Diet which is about a married couple who must face a dramatic change in their lives after a dark turn.
5. Iron Fist: Taking us back into the world of Marvel Comics on March 17th, Iron Fist introduces us to a dude with spiffy martial-arts moves and mystical powers, played by Finn Jones.
6. Anne: The newest version of Lucy Maud Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables will star the redheaded Amybeth McNulty as the brash orphan who won our hearts as children. With no release date announced, we can’t wait to check this out sometime in 2017.
7. Gypsy: Another new show without a release date, Gypsy stars Naomi Watts as a therapist who gets way too involved in her patients’ personal lives. Definite drama potential there.
8. Dear White People: Starring Antoinette Robertson and Brandon P. Bell, Dear White People is based on the 2014 movie of the same name. It tells the story of a diverse group of students who are attempting to make their way in a predominantly white Ivy League college, so this has the potential to prompt some pretty important plots.
9. Thirteen Reasons Why: Also slated for 2017 is Thirteen Reasons Why, which will hopefully give us just as many reasons to watch the show. Starring Katherine Langford and Christian Navarro, a teen gets a mysterious package containing cassette tapes turning out to be from a dead classmate who tells her personal story. This one sounds like a total tear-jerker.
10. Big Mouth: Totally different from Thirteen Reasons Why, Big Mouth is also about young folks, but with Nick Kroll and John Mulaney starring in this animated series. It’s a comedy dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a teenager during, eek, puberty.
11. Girlboss: The Girlboss empire may have hit a snag when Nasty Gal filed for bankruptcy recently, but in this new series based on founder Sophia Amoruso’s autobiography, we’ll be taken into the world of fashion, business and believing in yourself.
What are you excited to (binge-)watch next year? Tweet us @britandco!
(h/t Pop Sugar; photos via Netflix, Jim Spellman/Getty)